SLIVOVICZ ?

  • ivanva@cvtci.com.ar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      "mx28985" <j.holten@...> writes about plum wine:

      >Plum wine can be very aggrevating to make, but once made, can well be
      >one of your most satisfying vintages. It tends to lack body, and for
      >that reason it is often made with raisins added. But if you use
      >plenty of plums, the raisins are unnecessary. It is also notoriously
      >slow to clear, but it does clear. The flavor, aroma and bouquet of
      >finished plum wine is really a treat, so please don't be discouraged
      >by my words of caution.
      >
      >PLUM WINE
      >
      >6 lbs plums
      >3-1/2 lbs fine granulated sugar

      half of the sugar is added to be converted to ETOH during fermentation,
      to get a 20%+ sugar concentration, this means that we are getting a sugar
      mash with some plum taste,

      >Water to one gallon

      >1-1/2 tsp acid blend #1
      >1 tsp pectic enzyme #2
      >1/2 tsp yeast nutrient #3
      >1/2 tsp yeast energizer #4
      >1/4 tsp grape tannin #5
      >wine yeast #6

      It seems a recipe from some home wine ingredient dealer, as I guess
      that products #1 to #6 are sold at a these kinds of shops, and you
      may even buy there granulated sugar...?

      At least you donĀ“t need to buy the water, but they sure sell filtering
      devices to get rid of chlorine...

      >Put water on to boil. Wash the fruit, cut in halves to remove the
      >seeds, then chop fruit and put in primary. Pour boiling water over
      >fruit. Add half the sugar and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Cover
      >and allow to cool to 70 degrees F. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme,
      >tannin, nutrient, and energizer, cover, and wait 12 hours before
      >adding yeast. Recover primary and allow to ferment 5-7 days, stirring
      >twice daily.

      >Strain, stir in remainder of sugar to dissolve, syphon
      >into secondary, and fit airlock.

      Adding sugar to continue fermentation is to get extra ETOH content,
      and this is common practice with grapes in homemade wine.

      Fruit based washes are to get ETOH from fruit sugar, and not from
      granulated sugar.

      Sugar is added to raise SG, but no sugar (or little) added recipes
      are prefered in the traditional recipes.

      Freedom to choose methods, is also important, but we should be more
      careful as taking any recipe as a "traditional", even if good results
      are achieved.

      >Rack after 30 days, top up, refit
      >airlock and repeat every 30 days until wine clears. Wait two
      >additional weeks, rack again, stabilize wine, bottle.

      This means that we are going for secondary (thrid ?) fermentation ?

      >This wine can be sampled after only 6 months.

      >If not up to expectations, let age another 6 months and taste again.

      >I have aged plum wine up to four years and the result was exquisite,
      >but that was only because the wine got covered with blankets and
      >was forgotten.

      >If you have enough plums, make several batches of wine varying the
      >sugar content (3-1/2 lbs, 3-1/4 lbs, 3 lbs, etc. -- the wine will be
      >sweet until you get to 2-3/4 lbs, but progressively less and less).

      >Be sure to mark the bottle labels so you'll know which is which. In
      >this way, you will later be able to determine which sugar content
      >best suits your taste.

      That is a good idea, and cooking sugar in the boiler is getting rhum
      out of the wash.

      >Excerpt from:

      >http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

      Thanks for the link

      >'ave fun Jan.

      No doubt about having fun !

      This is the good point, making wine and having fun.

      Thanks Jan,

      Ivan