SLIVOVICZ further comments

  • ivanva@cvtci.com.ar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi John,

      >yield about 22-22 quarts (20L) of juice?

      There are many, many kinds of plums, and the same type might yield more
      or less juice.

      Remember that ripe fruit is the important issue to get a good start.

      You will not get much more than 20L of juice with 60 lbs. of ripe plums,
      unless some very small seed variety is grown there. Skin amd pulp should
      not be more than 10% of total fruit weight, and juice may contain some
      pulp (as fruit "cells", this helps fermentation).

      If you get this volume, check SG, if too low add some sugar. You may even
      get a very but very high water content in the fruit, seldom should be so,
      60 lbs yielding more than 20L, but...? who knows, all these new genetics.

      Don´t be surprised if you need more than 60 lbs to get 20 Litres, rather
      take care for SG ! Sugar content means ETOH yield.

      >Qn 1: Do I need to think in terms of a given volume of liquid - say 23L?
      >To be made up with water if there is not enough liquid in the plums?

      Check SG, I doubt that you will get a too high SG with plum juice to need
      water being added.

      >Qn 2: Do I ferment on the pulp?

      Once skinned ripe plums should give very little pulp, just some suspendend
      "cell type" pulp that helps yeast distribution.

      >Qn 3: What's with this traditional distilling 6 months and a year after
      >the fermentation?

      I´ve heard about distilling "plum wine", and not fermented plum wash, and
      this was...

      a) off taste in "aged plum wine"
      b) some acetic fermentation already started ( air got in the corked bottles)
      c) expensive sugar (during WW II), being used sugarless plum jam (povidla)
      solution to get plum wine, and any wine was good to go in a still.

      >Qn 4: Anything else I should be aware of?

      Tales, John V !

      Let´s remember than we are conserving fruit sugar content as ETOH, first
      fermenting it, but if we have low priced granulated sugar we may even choose
      to conserve fruit in sugar syrup, good practice if fruit not yet ripe
      enough. Plums are fermented to save energy, and to get something before
      they get naturally rotten, traditional first choice is sugarless cooked jam,
      if not enough wood (and time) or heat to cook them all, ferment and destilate.
      In cold and wet weather you won´t get easily dry plums (raisins).

      Tradition was also common sense.

      To give some further hint I will describe my home made apple quick desert
      recipe.

      Peel and bone 2 lbs. ripe apples in fourths (not over ripe, just juicy
      normal apples, any kind), slice them at least once to get them thiner, add
      lemon juice (half), half table spoon of sugar (1/2 oz) cook them slowly a
      few minutes...NO WATER ADDED...Let it cool, place into tuperware and in the
      refr...eat when desired, very well with white cheese and if allowed a full
      spoon of cream, biscuits if desired. With remining skins and bones, add 3
      cups of water, 2 tablespoons of sugar, squezze the other lemon half, one
      quarter of the squezzed lemon...let boil 3´...cool and refrig. You get 2
      tall and nice glasses of a very pleasent noETOH (soft) drink/lemonade. Add
      ice and a fresh green mint leaf. Adding a litle more sugar to this...
      wouldn´t this do for an apple wine making recipe ?

      Regards,

      Ivan