RE: [new_distillers] Coffee Decanter?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2 1:23 AM
      Harley,

      I have a 30L vacola steriliser that i use - its just like a coffee decanter
      (see http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm : "my still" )

      I've had no problems with it (other than shorting out the element the first
      time i used it). The lid isn't a great seal, but I made a simple gasket
      for it just using RTV silicon sealant. If there is a bit of pressure then
      the lid starts to leak steam - but thats simply an indication that I should
      have cleaned the column better - when its clean its fine (although i do use
      an old lead weight belt to help hold it down). Very easy to clean - the
      whole lid comes off. Very easy to drill the hole in the lid and file wider
      to the right size to fit the column to. And it doesnt look like a still
      when dissasembled.

      Tony
    • Jim Long
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3 3:42 PM

          Hey Tony, thanks for the input, I am working on a stainless steel 100 cup coffee decanter (maker). and have built the rest of it off of the " world class still" reflux  design. ( after a course in patience, trying to get that coil in the 3 inch pipe).

         Anyway I have a couple of simple qeustion that I am sure has been answered in the past postings but I am alittle overwhelmed at this point!  Just needing some input to get up and running. Okay suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

           My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting and don't completely understand the process. I see where some people are soaking the carbon in the alchol ? And others are using it like a filter. Okay so to use it as a filter does a person just bye some carbon from one of the suppliers and run the product through it.( build funnel filled with carbon, and collect finished product on th other end) ? It seems like this would run through fairly fast, is that okay? I quess I am asking what is the easiest POLISHER for one to make?

          I know these probabily seem a little elementery to most of the posters, but thanks for the patience, and the sharing of knowledge.

         Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

        Harley,

        I have a 30L vacola steriliser that i use - its just like a coffee decanter
        (see http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm : "my still" )

        I've had no problems with it (other than shorting out the element the first
        time i used it).  The lid isn't a great seal, but I made a simple gasket
        for it just using RTV silicon sealant.  If there is a bit of pressure then
        the lid starts to leak steam - but thats simply an indication that I should
        have cleaned the column better - when its clean its fine (although i do use
        an old lead weight belt to help hold it down).  Very easy to clean - the
        whole lid comes off.  Very easy to drill the hole in the lid and file wider
        to the right size to fit the column to.  And it doesnt look like a still
        when dissasembled.

        Tony

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3 3:46 PM
          Hello Jim,
          I will have a go at some of your questions - others will no doubt do
          likewise.

          #1: "Okay suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is
          the easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
          start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash. "
          You are talking about the Turbo yeast/8 kg sugar recipe. That is actually
          not a bad place to start. It will give you experience with yeast, sugar
          wash, additives - plus siphoning, and then distilling - it yields a nice
          clean distillate, and you won't ;have to mess with slops, spent grains,
          etc. Buy a package of Turbo yeast. It will have all the yeast nutrients
          included. And follow the directions. You will need a 22L plastic pail
          with a lid. After it has fermented, about 4-6 days, you siphon it over
          into a couple of clean plastic pails, and then distill that. The product
          should be several liters/quarts of close to 95%abv. Dilute with water to
          40-42%, mix with soft drink. You should buy an alcohol meter (around
          $7-$10) and glass cylinder ($4-6) to determine the alcohol content in your
          distillate.

          > My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting
          > and don't completely understand the process.

          Polishing refers to the 'cleaning up' of the distillate. For one or
          another reason, the near pure product (somewhere near 90-95%abv) can have
          an off-flavour. Draining a litre of your distillate through a funnel
          filled with 'activated charcoal' will remove that off-flavour. You plug
          the drain end of the funnel with a bit of cotton batten or a small wad of
          cloth, fill funnel with the carbon, and then very slowly pour the
          distillate through it. Another way is to simply fill a canning jar with
          thed distillate, and add a few tabledspoons of activated carbon - shake
          every ltime you walk by. Note: newly purchased activated carbon will
          remove ALL flavours - so don't pour your newly made apple wine through it.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3 11:25 PM
            Jim

            > suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the
            easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
            start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

            > yes - there will be plenty of time later to get into fancy like using
            grains or fruit etc. You first need to work out how your column works, and
            whats the best way to run it. Just a simple sugar wash is usually fairly
            straight forward. By using one of the pre-packed Turbos it also takes out
            all the worry about the right levels of nutrients, aciditiy, etc. Follow
            their instructions and it should be fairly trouble free and reliable.

            > My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting
            and don't completely understand the process. I see where some people are
            soaking the carbon in the alchol ? And others are using it like a filter.
            Okay so to use it as a filter does a person just bye some carbon from one
            of the suppliers and run the product through it.( build funnel filled with
            carbon, and collect finished product on th other end) ? It seems like this
            would run through fairly fast, is that okay? I quess I am asking what is
            the easiest POLISHER for one to make?

            I find the EASIEST is just to soak it. Using the funnel/tube etc can be a
            lot faster, but takes a bit of fiddling around, and if done too fast, can
            end up with a grey or poorly filtered product. If using the funnel etc, do
            it really slowly, so that it only drips through it slowly - not piddling
            out as a stream.

            In either case, just make sure that you've cleaned the carbon well first,
            by boiling it for a couple of minutes and then rinsing it until the water
            is clear.

            To avoid having to do a fast filter, why not simply do one batch of spirits
            more than what you need. That way you can always have one aging or sitting
            on carbon, doing a decent job, and there ready to use, rather than being in
            the "brew on Fri for Sat party" rush. Likewise for once you've added the
            essences, or oak etc. Generally the longer you can age them the better.
            If you have say 5-10L sitting around, there is no rush (but you score
            badly in the Alcoholics Anonymous questionares - more than a couple of
            litres of alcohol at home, or stocking up etc generally put the ticks in
            the wrong column)

            > I know these probabily seem a little elementery to most of the posters,
            but thanks for the patience, and the sharing of knowledge.

            Thats what this group is here for. We all started here once.

            Tony
          • Jim Long
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4 9:07 AM

                Thanks to, Tony Ackland and John Vandermeulen. Really appriciate you both getting back with me on my first run. I have bought and read " the complete distiller", read many of the past postings and have read every post in the last couple of months.

                 It just seemed alittle over whelming, I must have tried to learn to much to fast!! Anyway thanks for all your help, I am waiting on UPs and then I will try to put all I read to practice. Will let you know how it goes.

                Tony, once I got your site opened it was a pleather of information. It answered alot of the things I didnt quite understand, You deserve an ata-boy for compiling and shareing all that great information.

              Jim

               Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

              Jim

              > suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the
              easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
              start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Do You Yahoo!?