Re: [new_distillers] SLIVOVICZ NOW/Rob

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hello Rob!
      the original questions to the anwers were from me. As usual, Jack (ups
      474) had the answers. he is unquestionably a valuable fount of knowledge.

      My own current seasonal activity is apple brandy and slivovicz, as both
      apples and plums are plentiful up here in Nova scotia. If you don't mind,
      I ahve a couple of questions.

      Qn 1. you mentioned apple brandy sitting on oak. How much (tsp? 1/2tsp?)
      of oak (shavings? did you use? The ageing/oaking part of this hobby is
      still a weak part for me. So, any help you can give me is v. much
      appreciated.

      Qn. 2: You made casual mention of malt whisky. Have you made any, and
      how? My own efforts have not thrilled me, but I just last week I bought
      some more malted barley, and still have some peated b. also, so I am
      tempted to try again. For this I will re-visit a couple of ups474 recipes,
      but, again, any advice?

      Many thanks in advance,
      JohnV

      Robert Stam wrote:

      > Hi Jack, what was this in reply to?By the way, the apple brandy you
      > helped me with is coming along nicely. It has now been sitting on medium
      > and heavy toast Amerian oak chips for the past two months and has
      > developed a nice rich golden colour. I took some to a winemaker friend
      > who was quite impressed and pronounced some definite congac style aromas
      > and taste. It was still at 45%abv so apparantly congac is more around the
      > 37% abv, but otherwise has potential, which was very encouraging. I think
      > my initial lukewarm reaction to the result was due to my own limited
      > tasting experience and a general preference for malt whisky when I do
      > have a drink, so I was unprepared and uneducated as to what to expect
      > with the apple brandy. The main reason I was trying it is because I have
      > a part time business producing apple syrup and therefore have lots of
      > concentrated apple juice for fermenting.There is another 22 litres being
      > fermented now which should be ready in about two weeks for the still. I
      > also have made a temperature control to keep the still at a slower rate.
      > I assume that this is what posting refer to when they mention a slow
      > distill, or is it more in reference to increasing the reflux and slowing
      > the rate of distillate coming out of the condensor?Thanks again for all
      > your help and advice along the way.Cheers, Rob

      [Image]

      [Image]

      > Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail
      > message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is
      > privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you
      > are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or
      > reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be
      > unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the
      > sender immediately and destroy the message.
    • Robert Stam
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi John, Nova Scotia eh? I have always had a hankering to get up to Canada, I hear it's really beautiful. My uncle spent a few years on Vancouver Island and he still talks about it with fond memories.

        Q1. Anyway, the apple brandy: I diluted what I collected down to 45% abv which gave 4.6 litres. To this I added 15g of medium toast American oak chips. The colour uptake was visible within a few days. After about  six weeks I added another 10g of heavy toast American oak.

        There wasn't any scientific reason for adding the extra oak except that I felt it could have used a bit more, and I thought that perhaps the charred oak would help with smoothing.

        I plan to leave the whole lot for about six months.

        Q.2 Sorry, I haven't made any malt whisky myself, always bought it off the shelf or at duty free. I was under the impression that you couldn't make a good malt whisky yourself because of the years of aging required. But there seem to be plenty of people doing it alright.

        Good luck. I'd be interested to know how you get on with the plum brandy. I have made a plum liqueur by steeping the plums in alcohol for a month and then decanting, adding sugar, and letting stand for a further six months. Not really necessary, you can drink it straight away, but the pectin drops out further and it ends up really nice and bright.

        Cheers, Rob