RE: [new_distillers] SLIVOVICZ NOW

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Jack, what was this in reply to?

      By the way, the apple brandy you helped me with is coming along nicely. It has now been sitting on medium and heavy toast Amerian oak chips for the past two months and has developed a nice rich golden colour. I took some to a winemaker friend who was quite impressed and pronounced some definite congac style aromas and taste. It was still at 45%abv so apparantly congac is more around the 37% abv, but otherwise has potential, which was very encouraging.

      I think my initial lukewarm reaction to the result was due to my own limited tasting experience and a general preference for malt whisky when I do have a drink, so I was unprepared and uneducated as to what to expect with the apple brandy. The main reason I was trying it is because I have a part time business producing apple syrup and therefore have lots of concentrated apple juice for fermenting.

      There is another 22 litres being fermented now which should be ready in about two weeks for the still. I also have made a temperature control to keep the still at a slower rate. I assume that this is what posting refer to when they mention a slow distill, or is it more in reference to increasing the reflux and slowing the rate of distillate coming out of the condensor?

      Thanks again for all your help and advice along the way.

      Cheers, Rob