  • mx28985
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
      --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      > Does anyone know how many pounds of plums, when pulped and juiced
      etc, will
      > yield about 22-22 quarts (20L) of juice?
      > John V

      Hi John.

      Look here:

      Plum Wine

      Plum wine can be very aggrevating to make, but once made, can well be
      one of your most satisfying vintages. It tends to lack body, and for
      that reason it is often made with raisins added. But if you use
      plenty of plums, the raisins are unnecessary. It is also notoriously
      slow to clear, but it does clear. The flavor, aroma and bouquet of
      finished plum wine is really a treat, so please don't be discouraged
      by my words of caution.

      6 lbs plums
      3-1/2 lbs fine granulated sugar
      Water to one gallon
      1-1/2 tsp acid blend
      1 tsp pectic enzyme
      1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
      1/2 tsp yeast energizer
      1/4 tsp grape tannin
      wine yeast

      Put water on to boil. Wash the fruit, cut in halves to remove the
      seeds, then chop fruit and put in primary. Pour boiling water over
      fruit. Add half the sugar and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Cover
      and allow to cool to 70 degrees F. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme,
      tannin, nutrient, and energizer, cover, and wait 12 hours before
      adding yeast. Recover primary and allow to ferment 5-7 days, stirring
      twice daily. Strain, stir in remainder of sugar to dissolve, syphon
      into secondary, and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days, top up, refit
      airlock and repeat every 30 days until wine clears. Wait two
      additional weeks, rack again, stabilize wine, bottle. This wine can
      be sampled after only 6 months. If not up to expectations, let age
      another 6 months and taste again. I have aged plum wine up to four
      years and the result was exquisite, but that was only because the
      wine got covered with blankets and was forgotten. I suspect it was
      ready long before it took on its heavenly quality. [Author's notes
      and adaptation from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North America]

      If you have enough plums, make several batches of wine varying the
      sugar content (3-1/2 lbs, 3-1/4 lbs, 3 lbs, etc. -- the wine will be
      sweet until you get to 2-3/4 lbs, but progressively less and less).
      Be sure to mark the bottle labels so you'll know which is which. In
      this way, you will later be able to determine which sugar content
      best suits your taste.

      Excerpt from:

      'ave fun Jan.