Re: [new_distillers] Copper Column OK!

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      Billy,
      1) Don't take my experience with shortening the potstill column to 8" as
      gospel-fixed-in-stone. This worked and works for me, but it was the result of
      pure trial and error.
      2) As for the latest on 4" vs 5" diam riser, etc. Go to Tony Ackland directly -
      he may at the very least get you from guess to speculation.

      One dream of mine, thought out loud, is to construct a still along the lines of
      the scottish malt stills - boiler, sloping column, swan's neck, etc. However, I
      do wonder if it would in fact yield a better product. After all, once we
      eliminate the fancy bells and whistles, it all reduces down to hot vapour rising
      and condensing out, doesn't it.
      Good luck,
      JohnV

      BillyWeeble@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/28/02 4:13:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > vandermeulen@... writes:
      >
      > << I did something similar for my own potstill setup. I began with 3' length
      > of 2"diam copper pipe for the column, and
      > went over to a lyne arm etc. However, I found that the thing was too
      > efficient, and I was getting near 85%abv right off. Possibly refluxing in
      > that length of column. So I cut it back to 8", and now it works fine -
      > around 40% on the first
      > run, etc. >>
      >
      > Greetings John and everyone, Alas, when I went back to the scrapyard,
      > the 5in brass pipe was gone. The next best piece was (and now is) a 5ft long
      > 4in diameter copper now laying on a table where I can stare at it waiting for
      > "The Revelation".
      > OK, let's see if this is logical - If a 2in diameter works well at 8in
      > tall and the area of a 2in circle is approx 2000 mm (Pi X R2 and 25mm/in =
      > 25 X 25 X 3.14 = 1962) and the area of a 4in circle is approx 8000 (50 X 50 X
      > 3.14 = 7850) then the optimal height of a 4in diameter column would be 8in X
      > 4 (the difference of 2000/8000) or 32in. What I was thinking of doing was
      > folding the pipe at 3ft, so this might fall into that parameter,
      > whaddayathink? The extra 2ft on the downward (vapor out) side allows for the
      > vapor to mellow before condensation.
      >
      > What I really would like to happen is to get it right the first time, but
      > while losing one's virginity... that just doesn't seem to happen without
      > divine guidance or something.
      >
      > Since my attitude seems to have been a little acerbic lately (I want to
      > move from this crazy country but I really like it here - when do we get to
      > vote again???) you all can tell me to run it up my snout. I wouldn't blame
      > you a bit.....wish I could blame it on alcohol but I can't.
      >
      > Thanks for the advice John. BTW, with the modification I did to the "pass
      > thru" still, I can stop all reflux coolant with the turn of a valve and run
      > it with less reflux. What I'm seeking is greater volume of output without
      > causing a dangerous situation (pushing it too hard).
      >
      > Well, thanks again to all.......bw......

    • bokakob
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        Do you discount aestetic values? I have a design for a reflux still
        shaped
        as egyptian pyramid made of glass. It would really look nice. And
        vapors would be fine too.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • BillyWeeble@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
          vandermeulen@... writes:

          << One dream of mine, thought out loud, is to construct a still along the
          lines of the scottish malt stills - boiler, sloping column, swan's neck, etc.

          Hi John, Yes that's the one I'm thinking of - a graceful necking down
          from the turn at the top after an area of same diameter for the vapors to
          mellow. My terminology is somewhat lacking and thus occasionally causes a
          communication problem. I had read "Alembic" somewhere and that stuck.
          I've taken a large cardboard tube and started hacking away on it before
          turning to the copper. This won't be as easy as the first one. Too bad it
          won't hold up to vapors...
          The time I had available to use the computer has gotten less - I'm now
          starting to build a survival chamber so I won't lose any of this knowledge
          gained from this group. All disks will be saved along with my precious
          still(s). And sugar. And yeast. That should do it......bw......
        • BillyWeeble@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
            In a message dated 9/1/02 8:06:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, bokakob@...
            writes:

            << Do you discount aestetic values? I have a design for a reflux still shaped
            as egyptian pyramid made of glass. It would really look nice. >>

            Aesthetic counts - your friends won't drink from an ugly poisonous
            looking monstrosity. Mine might, but hey...I have my pride...
            I built a carbon filter/distillate polisher that's named "Mother Goose
            Tied To The Stake". It's beautiful. Works as good as it looks.......bw.......