Copper Column OK!

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
      In a message dated 8/28/02 4:13:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      vandermeulen@... writes:

      << I did something similar for my own potstill setup. I began with 3' length
      of 2"diam copper pipe for the column, and
      went over to a lyne arm etc. However, I found that the thing was too
      efficient, and I was getting near 85%abv right off. Possibly refluxing in
      that length of column. So I cut it back to 8", and now it works fine -
      around 40% on the first
      run, etc. >>

      Greetings John and everyone, Alas, when I went back to the scrapyard,
      the 5in brass pipe was gone. The next best piece was (and now is) a 5ft long
      4in diameter copper now laying on a table where I can stare at it waiting for
      "The Revelation".
      OK, let's see if this is logical - If a 2in diameter works well at 8in
      tall and the area of a 2in circle is approx 2000 mm (Pi X R2 and 25mm/in =
      25 X 25 X 3.14 = 1962) and the area of a 4in circle is approx 8000 (50 X 50 X
      3.14 = 7850) then the optimal height of a 4in diameter column would be 8in X
      4 (the difference of 2000/8000) or 32in. What I was thinking of doing was
      folding the pipe at 3ft, so this might fall into that parameter,
      whaddayathink? The extra 2ft on the downward (vapor out) side allows for the
      vapor to mellow before condensation.

      What I really would like to happen is to get it right the first time, but
      while losing one's virginity... that just doesn't seem to happen without
      divine guidance or something.

      Since my attitude seems to have been a little acerbic lately (I want to
      move from this crazy country but I really like it here - when do we get to
      vote again???) you all can tell me to run it up my snout. I wouldn't blame
      you a bit.....wish I could blame it on alcohol but I can't.

      Thanks for the advice John. BTW, with the modification I did to the "pass
      thru" still, I can stop all reflux coolant with the turn of a valve and run
      it with less reflux. What I'm seeking is greater volume of output without
      causing a dangerous situation (pushing it too hard).

      Well, thanks again to all.......bw......
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 7:40 AM
        Billy,
        1) Don't take my experience with shortening the potstill column to 8" as
        gospel-fixed-in-stone. This worked and works for me, but it was the result of
        pure trial and error.
        2) As for the latest on 4" vs 5" diam riser, etc. Go to Tony Ackland directly -
        he may at the very least get you from guess to speculation.

        One dream of mine, thought out loud, is to construct a still along the lines of
        the scottish malt stills - boiler, sloping column, swan's neck, etc. However, I
        do wonder if it would in fact yield a better product. After all, once we
        eliminate the fancy bells and whistles, it all reduces down to hot vapour rising
        and condensing out, doesn't it.
        Good luck,
        JohnV

        BillyWeeble@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/28/02 4:13:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > vandermeulen@... writes:
        >
        > << I did something similar for my own potstill setup. I began with 3' length
        > of 2"diam copper pipe for the column, and
        > went over to a lyne arm etc. However, I found that the thing was too
        > efficient, and I was getting near 85%abv right off. Possibly refluxing in
        > that length of column. So I cut it back to 8", and now it works fine -
        > around 40% on the first
        > run, etc. >>
        >
        > Greetings John and everyone, Alas, when I went back to the scrapyard,
        > the 5in brass pipe was gone. The next best piece was (and now is) a 5ft long
        > 4in diameter copper now laying on a table where I can stare at it waiting for
        > "The Revelation".
        > OK, let's see if this is logical - If a 2in diameter works well at 8in
        > tall and the area of a 2in circle is approx 2000 mm (Pi X R2 and 25mm/in =
        > 25 X 25 X 3.14 = 1962) and the area of a 4in circle is approx 8000 (50 X 50 X
        > 3.14 = 7850) then the optimal height of a 4in diameter column would be 8in X
        > 4 (the difference of 2000/8000) or 32in. What I was thinking of doing was
        > folding the pipe at 3ft, so this might fall into that parameter,
        > whaddayathink? The extra 2ft on the downward (vapor out) side allows for the
        > vapor to mellow before condensation.
        >
        > What I really would like to happen is to get it right the first time, but
        > while losing one's virginity... that just doesn't seem to happen without
        > divine guidance or something.
        >
        > Since my attitude seems to have been a little acerbic lately (I want to
        > move from this crazy country but I really like it here - when do we get to
        > vote again???) you all can tell me to run it up my snout. I wouldn't blame
        > you a bit.....wish I could blame it on alcohol but I can't.
        >
        > Thanks for the advice John. BTW, with the modification I did to the "pass
        > thru" still, I can stop all reflux coolant with the turn of a valve and run
        > it with less reflux. What I'm seeking is greater volume of output without
        > causing a dangerous situation (pushing it too hard).
        >
        > Well, thanks again to all.......bw......

      • bokakob
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 8:05 AM
          Do you discount aestetic values? I have a design for a reflux still
          shaped
          as egyptian pyramid made of glass. It would really look nice. And
          vapors would be fine too.

          --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • BillyWeeble@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2 9:52 PM
            vandermeulen@... writes:

            << One dream of mine, thought out loud, is to construct a still along the
            lines of the scottish malt stills - boiler, sloping column, swan's neck, etc.

            Hi John, Yes that's the one I'm thinking of - a graceful necking down
            from the turn at the top after an area of same diameter for the vapors to
            mellow. My terminology is somewhat lacking and thus occasionally causes a
            communication problem. I had read "Alembic" somewhere and that stuck.
            I've taken a large cardboard tube and started hacking away on it before
            turning to the copper. This won't be as easy as the first one. Too bad it
            won't hold up to vapors...
            The time I had available to use the computer has gotten less - I'm now
            starting to build a survival chamber so I won't lose any of this knowledge
            gained from this group. All disks will be saved along with my precious
            still(s). And sugar. And yeast. That should do it......bw......
          • BillyWeeble@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2 10:07 PM
              In a message dated 9/1/02 8:06:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, bokakob@...
              writes:

              << Do you discount aestetic values? I have a design for a reflux still shaped
              as egyptian pyramid made of glass. It would really look nice. >>

              Aesthetic counts - your friends won't drink from an ugly poisonous
              looking monstrosity. Mine might, but hey...I have my pride...
              I built a carbon filter/distillate polisher that's named "Mother Goose
              Tied To The Stake". It's beautiful. Works as good as it looks.......bw.......