SLIVOVICZ NOW

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2002
      Hello all!
      I am within a week of plum harvest here in Nova scotia. And I want to make
      certain that I have the right recipe worked out - as there are no second
      chances. Here it is,
      many pounds of pitted plums, over-ripe if possible
      champagne yeast

      Qn 1: Do I need to think in terms of a given volume of liquid - say 23L?
      To be made up with water if there is not enough liquid in the plums?
      Qn 2: Do I ferment on the pulp?
      Qn 3: What's with this traditional distilling 6 months and a year after
      the fermentation?
      Qn 4: Anything else I should be aware of?
      John V
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2002
        1)water will thin out the flavor- avoid it, unless needed to dissolve any
        sugar.
        2)Yes, ferment on the pulp- that's where the flavor is
        3)It is likely done to make sure a clear wine is distilled- to prevent
        foaming, and to prevent any yeast flavors from getting into the brandy by
        maturing them out.
        4)Distill slowly to prevent feints from coming over- they are far easier to
        detect in fruit brandy than in whiskey.
      • Robert Stam
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
          Hi Jack, what was this in reply to?

          By the way, the apple brandy you helped me with is coming along nicely. It has now been sitting on medium and heavy toast Amerian oak chips for the past two months and has developed a nice rich golden colour. I took some to a winemaker friend who was quite impressed and pronounced some definite congac style aromas and taste. It was still at 45%abv so apparantly congac is more around the 37% abv, but otherwise has potential, which was very encouraging.

          I think my initial lukewarm reaction to the result was due to my own limited tasting experience and a general preference for malt whisky when I do have a drink, so I was unprepared and uneducated as to what to expect with the apple brandy. The main reason I was trying it is because I have a part time business producing apple syrup and therefore have lots of concentrated apple juice for fermenting.

          There is another 22 litres being fermented now which should be ready in about two weeks for the still. I also have made a temperature control to keep the still at a slower rate. I assume that this is what posting refer to when they mention a slow distill, or is it more in reference to increasing the reflux and slowing the rate of distillate coming out of the condensor?

          Thanks again for all your help and advice along the way.

          Cheers, Rob
          1)water will thin out the flavor- avoid it, unless needed to dissolve any
          sugar.
          2)Yes, ferment on the pulp- that's where the flavor is
          3)It is likely done to make sure a clear wine is distilled- to prevent
          foaming, and to prevent any yeast flavors from getting into the brandy by
          maturing them out.
          4)Distill slowly to prevent feints from coming over- they are far easier to
          detect in fruit brandy than in whiskey.

          Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.