Re: [new_distillers] How much heat?

  • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 17, 2001
      I ran through the calculations for a 2" pipe and it said I could use up to 2000+ watts.

      There is a condenser size calculation on his page. It seems to work well. Try it.

      -Tim
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2001
        Tony

        I use 1800W in my 36mm diameter column.

        As a 50mm column has almost twice the cross-sectional area of a 36mm
        column, you MIGHT even be able to handle up to 3500 W. But if you
        already have 1800W on hand, use it (cheap is better than risky).

        At the larger size, the condensor may become a critical factor. Mine has
        10 ft of 3/16 tubing in it. Less than half of that actually gets used -
        when you pull it out, there is only condensation on the lower 1/3 - 1/2 So
        it can only probably handle up to 3500W as well

        Tony
      • richardt2005
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
          I'm finishing up my first still.

          The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper reflux
          column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper wire
          crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have Liebig
          condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper inside
          2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.

          Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
          fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle for
          helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.

          I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
          heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on using
          several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel top.

          The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
            <richardt2005@...> wrote:

            > I'm finishing up my first still.
            >
            > The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper
            reflux
            > column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper
            wire
            > crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have
            Liebig
            > condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper
            inside
            > 2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.
            >
            > Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
            > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
            for
            > helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.
            >
            > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
            > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
            using
            > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel
            top.

            > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?

            1000 - 1200 watts for distillation. Whatever you want for boilup
            (more is faster).

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
              That's one way to keep the pool heated!

              Tip one, Morgan

              <richardt2005@...> wrote:

              >> Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
              > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
              for
              > helping).
            • gff_stwrt
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
                <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                > I'm finishing up my first still.
                >
                > The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper
                reflux
                > column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper wire
                > crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have Liebig
                > condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper
                inside
                > 2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.
                >
                > Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
                > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
                for
                > helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.
                >
                > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
                > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
                using
                > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel
                top.

                > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?

                Hi, Richard, hi folks,

                > Richard, you may find that your neighbour's pool
                will take ALL the 'waste' water from your condenser, without
                you going to the trouble and expense of a pump. Especially if he
                keeps the pool the slightest bit 'underfilled'. So if it's convenient
                to run a temporary hose from the condenser to the pool ...

                Harry suggests ( in reply to your posting) that perhaps 1,000
                watts
                ( I won't look back to check that in case I lose all my typing!)
                would be OK for RUNNING the still, with extra power for heating up;
                would it be less work to install less immersion heaters of higher
                power? Even 2 x 500 watts and 1 x 1,000 watts would give some
                flexibility and could easily be cheaper, too. But perhaps you have a
                supply of smaller elements already that you want to use...

                Regards,

                The Baker
              • gff_stwrt
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                  > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm finishing up my first still.

                  snip

                  > > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
                  > > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
                  > using
                  > > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the
                  barrel
                  > top.
                  > >
                  > > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?
                  >
                  > Hi, Richard, hi folks,
                  >
                  > > Richard, you may find that your neighbour's pool
                  > will take ALL the 'waste' water from your condenser,

                  snip>

                  Regards,

                  > The Baker

                  Richard, after I finished my reply I realised there are
                  important safety issues involved here.

                  Most people design, and operate, their stills so that the entire
                  element is always covered by the liquid. So the ENTIRE element is
                  usually installed BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL OF THE LIQUID.

                  Fitting the elements from the top of the still cannot, so far as I
                  can see, achieve this absolutely essential objective.

                  Because of the inflammable nature of the alcohol vapour it is not
                  unknown for stills to explode if the level of the liquid falls low
                  enough to expose the element.

                  Be safe!

                  Regards,

                  The Baker.

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 7, 2007
                    <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                    > I'm finishing up my first still.
                    >
                    > The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper
                    reflux
                    > column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper wire
                    > crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have Liebig
                    > condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper
                    inside
                    > 2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.
                    >
                    > Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
                    > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
                    for
                    > helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.
                    >
                    > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
                    > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
                    using
                    > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel
                    top.

                    > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?

                    Well, estimating that your 20 gal barrel has same heat losses as 5
                    gal uninsulated pot I'd recommend you to use 5 heaters. That would
                    bring your effective power to 700-1000W range which is quite perfect
                    for 2" column. You'd be better off replacing those copper trinkets
                    with SS scrubbers if you are serious about making neutral alcohol.

                    Cheers, Riku
                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 7, 2007
                      That is a good point. The way it is done by "the spirall still" crowd
                      is to use silicone hoses to hang the element (ie. wires go inside
                      those hoses inside the boiler). Another option is to do an extension
                      from copper pipe for each "leg" of the heating element. A third way
                      to heat the barrel would be hotplate. Depending on the shape of the
                      bottom of the barrell you should be able to figure out something.

                      Cheers, Riku