Re: How much heat?

  • hillbillyman50@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 17 5:06 PM
      -Tony

      The 1800 watt element will work fine.

      Good luck

      Jim

      -- In new_distillers@y..., "Tony Cahill" <topcat@s...> wrote:
      > Hello, Been working feverishly trying to get operational on a
      limited
      > budget. I have arrived at the point of calculating the best heat
      for
      > running my N/S design, the column is 50mm by 1.2 metres high,
      > with the SS packing going up to the 1 metre mark, my condenser
      > is a jacketed type, with the vapour going up a reduced inner pipe
      of
      > 20mm, the outer casing is 50mm, and it is 400mm high. I have a
      > three ring gas burner to get it up to temperature (60 litres), but
      I do
    • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 17 6:29 PM
        I ran through the calculations for a 2" pipe and it said I could use up to 2000+ watts.

        There is a condenser size calculation on his page. It seems to work well. Try it.

        -Tim
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18 10:48 AM
          Tony

          I use 1800W in my 36mm diameter column.

          As a 50mm column has almost twice the cross-sectional area of a 36mm
          column, you MIGHT even be able to handle up to 3500 W. But if you
          already have 1800W on hand, use it (cheap is better than risky).

          At the larger size, the condensor may become a critical factor. Mine has
          10 ft of 3/16 tubing in it. Less than half of that actually gets used -
          when you pull it out, there is only condensation on the lower 1/3 - 1/2 So
          it can only probably handle up to 3500W as well

          Tony
        • richardt2005
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6 11:17 AM
            I'm finishing up my first still.

            The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper reflux
            column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper wire
            crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have Liebig
            condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper inside
            2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.

            Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
            fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle for
            helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.

            I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
            heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on using
            several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel top.

            The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6 2:48 PM
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
              <richardt2005@...> wrote:

              > I'm finishing up my first still.
              >
              > The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper
              reflux
              > column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper
              wire
              > crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have
              Liebig
              > condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper
              inside
              > 2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.
              >
              > Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
              > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
              for
              > helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.
              >
              > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
              > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
              using
              > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel
              top.

              > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?

              1000 - 1200 watts for distillation. Whatever you want for boilup
              (more is faster).

            • morganfield1
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6 4:22 PM
                That's one way to keep the pool heated!

                Tip one, Morgan

                <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                >> Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
                > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
                for
                > helping).
              • gff_stwrt
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6 8:42 PM
                  <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                  > I'm finishing up my first still.
                  >
                  > The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper
                  reflux
                  > column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper wire
                  > crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have Liebig
                  > condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper
                  inside
                  > 2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.
                  >
                  > Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
                  > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
                  for
                  > helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.
                  >
                  > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
                  > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
                  using
                  > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel
                  top.

                  > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?

                  Hi, Richard, hi folks,

                  > Richard, you may find that your neighbour's pool
                  will take ALL the 'waste' water from your condenser, without
                  you going to the trouble and expense of a pump. Especially if he
                  keeps the pool the slightest bit 'underfilled'. So if it's convenient
                  to run a temporary hose from the condenser to the pool ...

                  Harry suggests ( in reply to your posting) that perhaps 1,000
                  watts
                  ( I won't look back to check that in case I lose all my typing!)
                  would be OK for RUNNING the still, with extra power for heating up;
                  would it be less work to install less immersion heaters of higher
                  power? Even 2 x 500 watts and 1 x 1,000 watts would give some
                  flexibility and could easily be cheaper, too. But perhaps you have a
                  supply of smaller elements already that you want to use...

                  Regards,

                  The Baker
                • gff_stwrt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6 9:01 PM
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                    > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm finishing up my first still.

                    snip

                    > > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
                    > > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
                    > using
                    > > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the
                    barrel
                    > top.
                    > >
                    > > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?
                    >
                    > Hi, Richard, hi folks,
                    >
                    > > Richard, you may find that your neighbour's pool
                    > will take ALL the 'waste' water from your condenser,

                    snip>

                    Regards,

                    > The Baker

                    Richard, after I finished my reply I realised there are
                    important safety issues involved here.

                    Most people design, and operate, their stills so that the entire
                    element is always covered by the liquid. So the ENTIRE element is
                    usually installed BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL OF THE LIQUID.

                    Fitting the elements from the top of the still cannot, so far as I
                    can see, achieve this absolutely essential objective.

                    Because of the inflammable nature of the alcohol vapour it is not
                    unknown for stills to explode if the level of the liquid falls low
                    enough to expose the element.

                    Be safe!

                    Regards,

                    The Baker.

                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 7 12:26 AM
                      <richardt2005@...> wrote:

                      > I'm finishing up my first still.
                      >
                      > The boiler is a 20 gallon SS barrel. I have a 4' x 2" copper
                      reflux
                      > column filled with copper scrubbers top and bottom, and copper wire
                      > crimps (effectively copper raschig rings) inbetween. I have Liebig
                      > condensers for both reflux and product (I tried to coil copper
                      inside
                      > 2" tube and couldn't). The barrel and reflux column are insulated.
                      >
                      > Cooling for the first run is city water, the next iteration is a
                      > fountain pump and the neighbor's swimming pool (he gets one bottle
                      for
                      > helping). First mash is 12 gallons of sugar with a turbo yeast.
                      >
                      > I don't want to pierce the side or bottom of the barrel for water
                      > heater elements (it was so bloody expensive) so I'm planning on
                      using
                      > several 300 watt immersion heaters, through grommets in the barrel
                      top.

                      > The question is - how many? 6? 9? 12? Suggestions?

                      Well, estimating that your 20 gal barrel has same heat losses as 5
                      gal uninsulated pot I'd recommend you to use 5 heaters. That would
                      bring your effective power to 700-1000W range which is quite perfect
                      for 2" column. You'd be better off replacing those copper trinkets
                      with SS scrubbers if you are serious about making neutral alcohol.

                      Cheers, Riku
                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 7 4:06 AM
                        That is a good point. The way it is done by "the spirall still" crowd
                        is to use silicone hoses to hang the element (ie. wires go inside
                        those hoses inside the boiler). Another option is to do an extension
                        from copper pipe for each "leg" of the heating element. A third way
                        to heat the barrel would be hotplate. Depending on the shape of the
                        bottom of the barrell you should be able to figure out something.

                        Cheers, Riku