Coffee Decanter?

  • harleydavidsonn2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2002
      I have seen where some people, have used an 1,000 watt coffee
      decanter ( 60-80 cup ) as a boiler.
      Is anyone in the group using one or has anyone done so. If so how
      well does it work and what modifications are needed. Any info would
      be greatly appriciated since I am having trouble coming up with a
      S.S. milk canaster, and really dont care to use a keg.
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2002
        You might consider a small domestic hot water heater. At least one is shown
        in the //homedistiller.org site (stills). Ian Smiley shows one rigged up as
        a beer-stripper in his corn whiskey book.
        You might well find a used one at a plumbing contractors, or at one of those
        house renovation wares warehouses.
        JHV

        harleydavidsonn2002 wrote:

        > I have seen where some people, have used an 1,000 watt coffee
        > decanter ( 60-80 cup ) as a boiler.
        > Is anyone in the group using one or has anyone done so. If so how
        > well does it work and what modifications are needed. Any info would
        > be greatly appriciated since I am having trouble coming up with a
        > S.S. milk canaster, and really dont care to use a keg.

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
          Harley,

          I have a 30L vacola steriliser that i use - its just like a coffee decanter
          (see http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm : "my still" )

          I've had no problems with it (other than shorting out the element the first
          time i used it). The lid isn't a great seal, but I made a simple gasket
          for it just using RTV silicon sealant. If there is a bit of pressure then
          the lid starts to leak steam - but thats simply an indication that I should
          have cleaned the column better - when its clean its fine (although i do use
          an old lead weight belt to help hold it down). Very easy to clean - the
          whole lid comes off. Very easy to drill the hole in the lid and file wider
          to the right size to fit the column to. And it doesnt look like a still
          when dissasembled.

          Tony
        • Jim Long
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002

              Hey Tony, thanks for the input, I am working on a stainless steel 100 cup coffee decanter (maker). and have built the rest of it off of the " world class still" reflux  design. ( after a course in patience, trying to get that coil in the 3 inch pipe).

             Anyway I have a couple of simple qeustion that I am sure has been answered in the past postings but I am alittle overwhelmed at this point!  Just needing some input to get up and running. Okay suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

               My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting and don't completely understand the process. I see where some people are soaking the carbon in the alchol ? And others are using it like a filter. Okay so to use it as a filter does a person just bye some carbon from one of the suppliers and run the product through it.( build funnel filled with carbon, and collect finished product on th other end) ? It seems like this would run through fairly fast, is that okay? I quess I am asking what is the easiest POLISHER for one to make?

              I know these probabily seem a little elementery to most of the posters, but thanks for the patience, and the sharing of knowledge.

             Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

            Harley,

            I have a 30L vacola steriliser that i use - its just like a coffee decanter
            (see http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm : "my still" )

            I've had no problems with it (other than shorting out the element the first
            time i used it).  The lid isn't a great seal, but I made a simple gasket
            for it just using RTV silicon sealant.  If there is a bit of pressure then
            the lid starts to leak steam - but thats simply an indication that I should
            have cleaned the column better - when its clean its fine (although i do use
            an old lead weight belt to help hold it down).  Very easy to clean - the
            whole lid comes off.  Very easy to drill the hole in the lid and file wider
            to the right size to fit the column to.  And it doesnt look like a still
            when dissasembled.

            Tony

            Do You Yahoo!?

          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
              Hello Jim,
              I will have a go at some of your questions - others will no doubt do
              likewise.

              #1: "Okay suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is
              the easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
              start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash. "
              You are talking about the Turbo yeast/8 kg sugar recipe. That is actually
              not a bad place to start. It will give you experience with yeast, sugar
              wash, additives - plus siphoning, and then distilling - it yields a nice
              clean distillate, and you won't ;have to mess with slops, spent grains,
              etc. Buy a package of Turbo yeast. It will have all the yeast nutrients
              included. And follow the directions. You will need a 22L plastic pail
              with a lid. After it has fermented, about 4-6 days, you siphon it over
              into a couple of clean plastic pails, and then distill that. The product
              should be several liters/quarts of close to 95%abv. Dilute with water to
              40-42%, mix with soft drink. You should buy an alcohol meter (around
              $7-$10) and glass cylinder ($4-6) to determine the alcohol content in your
              distillate.

              > My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting
              > and don't completely understand the process.

              Polishing refers to the 'cleaning up' of the distillate. For one or
              another reason, the near pure product (somewhere near 90-95%abv) can have
              an off-flavour. Draining a litre of your distillate through a funnel
              filled with 'activated charcoal' will remove that off-flavour. You plug
              the drain end of the funnel with a bit of cotton batten or a small wad of
              cloth, fill funnel with the carbon, and then very slowly pour the
              distillate through it. Another way is to simply fill a canning jar with
              thed distillate, and add a few tabledspoons of activated carbon - shake
              every ltime you walk by. Note: newly purchased activated carbon will
              remove ALL flavours - so don't pour your newly made apple wine through it.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
                Jim

                > suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the
                easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
                start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

                > yes - there will be plenty of time later to get into fancy like using
                grains or fruit etc. You first need to work out how your column works, and
                whats the best way to run it. Just a simple sugar wash is usually fairly
                straight forward. By using one of the pre-packed Turbos it also takes out
                all the worry about the right levels of nutrients, aciditiy, etc. Follow
                their instructions and it should be fairly trouble free and reliable.

                > My second question is in regards to polishing. I have read the posting
                and don't completely understand the process. I see where some people are
                soaking the carbon in the alchol ? And others are using it like a filter.
                Okay so to use it as a filter does a person just bye some carbon from one
                of the suppliers and run the product through it.( build funnel filled with
                carbon, and collect finished product on th other end) ? It seems like this
                would run through fairly fast, is that okay? I quess I am asking what is
                the easiest POLISHER for one to make?

                I find the EASIEST is just to soak it. Using the funnel/tube etc can be a
                lot faster, but takes a bit of fiddling around, and if done too fast, can
                end up with a grey or poorly filtered product. If using the funnel etc, do
                it really slowly, so that it only drips through it slowly - not piddling
                out as a stream.

                In either case, just make sure that you've cleaned the carbon well first,
                by boiling it for a couple of minutes and then rinsing it until the water
                is clear.

                To avoid having to do a fast filter, why not simply do one batch of spirits
                more than what you need. That way you can always have one aging or sitting
                on carbon, doing a decent job, and there ready to use, rather than being in
                the "brew on Fri for Sat party" rush. Likewise for once you've added the
                essences, or oak etc. Generally the longer you can age them the better.
                If you have say 5-10L sitting around, there is no rush (but you score
                badly in the Alcoholics Anonymous questionares - more than a couple of
                litres of alcohol at home, or stocking up etc generally put the ticks in
                the wrong column)

                > I know these probabily seem a little elementery to most of the posters,
                but thanks for the patience, and the sharing of knowledge.

                Thats what this group is here for. We all started here once.

                Tony
              • Jim Long
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002

                    Thanks to, Tony Ackland and John Vandermeulen. Really appriciate you both getting back with me on my first run. I have bought and read " the complete distiller", read many of the past postings and have read every post in the last couple of months.

                     It just seemed alittle over whelming, I must have tried to learn to much to fast!! Anyway thanks for all your help, I am waiting on UPs and then I will try to put all I read to practice. Will let you know how it goes.

                    Tony, once I got your site opened it was a pleather of information. It answered alot of the things I didnt quite understand, You deserve an ata-boy for compiling and shareing all that great information.

                  Jim

                   Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

                  Jim

                  > suppose a person was going to distill their first run-- what is the
                  easiest way to acheive this. Just bye a paket of turbo yeast ( should I
                  start with turbo yeast?) and get to fermenting? ie simple sugar wash.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Do You Yahoo!?