Is black iron 2"x6" flange safe?

  • bokakob
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2002
      Not having any alternative option for now, I purchased a regular
      black iron 2" thread x 6" diameter flange to connect my completed
      reflux tower to the top of inverted mixing bowl. There is
      approximately of 3/4" raw thread still not covered by the copper
      coupling fitted inside the flange. I wonder if it is safe to leave as
      is or should I cover it with silicone caulking. It appears that any
      condensate dripping back in the pot should lick this small spot. My
      thought would be to smear some silicone on it. On the other hand who
      needs it if is safe? What the population of this group think?

      Cheers, Alex...
    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2002
        yes it is safe. you will notice some color change after use and it
        might show some rust, but it wont harm anything. Just run a wire
        brush over the surface to clean it back up. I dont think you will
        be able to get the silicone to stick so that it stays permenently.
        You may have to keep cleaning it off and re applying it.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
        > Not having any alternative option for now, I purchased a regular
        > black iron 2" thread x 6" diameter flange to connect my completed
        > reflux tower to the top of inverted mixing bowl. There is
        > approximately of 3/4" raw thread still not covered by the copper
        > coupling fitted inside the flange. I wonder if it is safe to leave
        as
        > is or should I cover it with silicone caulking. It appears that any
        > condensate dripping back in the pot should lick this small spot. My
        > thought would be to smear some silicone on it. On the other hand
        who
        > needs it if is safe? What the population of this group think?
        >
        > Cheers, Alex...
      • Aaron Pelly
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2002
          think of it as steak and spinach for dinner.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2002
            Alex, I am using a similar approach, but I was able to find a brass
            flange. (floor flange) It cost me 19 bucks, but I figure it was worth
            the labor it was saving me. Perhaps you can track down a flange in
            brass also.

            I'm sure that iron is safe, you might just have some problems with
            rust and/or galvanic corrosion.

            -CX

            --- In new_distillers@y..., "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
            > Not having any alternative option for now, I purchased a regular
            > black iron 2" thread x 6" diameter flange to connect my completed
            > reflux tower to the top of inverted mixing bowl. There is
            > approximately of 3/4" raw thread still not covered by the copper
            > coupling fitted inside the flange. I wonder if it is safe to leave
            as
            > is or should I cover it with silicone caulking. It appears that any
            > condensate dripping back in the pot should lick this small spot. My
            > thought would be to smear some silicone on it. On the other hand
            who
            > needs it if is safe? What the population of this group think?
            >
            > Cheers, Alex...
          • cornfed62
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29, 2002
              http://www.mcmaster.com/ you can poke around in here to see what
              kind of fittings are available and see if you can find it locally.

              --- In new_distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
              > Alex, I am using a similar approach, but I was able to find a brass
              > flange. (floor flange) It cost me 19 bucks, but I figure it was
              worth
              > the labor it was saving me. Perhaps you can track down a flange in
              > brass also.
              >
              > I'm sure that iron is safe, you might just have some problems with
              > rust and/or galvanic corrosion.
              >
              > -CX
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@y..., "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
              > > Not having any alternative option for now, I purchased a regular
              > > black iron 2" thread x 6" diameter flange to connect my completed
              > > reflux tower to the top of inverted mixing bowl. There is
              > > approximately of 3/4" raw thread still not covered by the copper
              > > coupling fitted inside the flange. I wonder if it is safe to
              leave
              > as
              > > is or should I cover it with silicone caulking. It appears that
              any
              > > condensate dripping back in the pot should lick this small spot.
              My
              > > thought would be to smear some silicone on it. On the other hand
              > who
              > > needs it if is safe? What the population of this group think?
              > >
              > > Cheers, Alex...
            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30, 2002
                i have silicon on my still for sealing purposes. it peeled away a
                little bit after several runs but it still holds well (on stainless
                steel). i think it should hold well if it is rubbed well into the
                threads. i dont think you have to worry about toxicity with it
                uncovered since any salts produced will not travel up the column