Re: [new_distillers] Heating elements?

  • G&N
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
      Tony ..i just read the email where you said that you open the valve when you
      get to 79deg,what do you mean by that?
      ALso what sort of still head connection and pot do you use ,i just have a 19
      litre cook pot and the still has a stainless steel bar welded to the bottom
      of the head ,so i get a really good fit with the split tube seal ,there are
      all sorts of sizes of clear tube that you can use ,also now with a column
      full of pot ss i get more back pressure and i am starting to get a couple of
      leaks at the start but a bit of tape where i get the leak stops any steam
      from leaking very quickly ...i will take a couple of Pot ss out and see how
      that goes..best of luck with it i find it so easy just to push the head on
      and when i am done i just give it a coupe of knocks and it is diasembled for
      cleaning:))also i just bought another pot so that i could just preheat the
      other 12.5 litres before the other batch has finished and it has a spot on
      fit with a tube with out grinding the very outside lip off ..so that was a
      bonus

      thanks Glenn
      Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

      > Glen,
      >
      > Assuming its starting at 15C, and will begin boiling at 94C, it will take
      > around 55 minutes, longer if you have high heat loss (eg windy around the
      > pot).
      >
      > Tony

    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
        Glen,

        >..i just read the email where you said that you open the valve when you
        >get to 79deg,what do you mean by that?

        I use the Nixon-Stone type of condensor (see http://www.gin-vodka.com ).
        Sorry I don't have a picture of mine yet, but Rob has posted one
        previously, and its also at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm . This uses a manual
        needle valve to regulate how much of the distillate is collected, and thus
        by default, how much gets returned back to the column. When doing a normal
        run, I alter this split to ensure that I'm providing enough reflux to get
        the high purity I desire. At the end of the run, I want to collect the
        remaining alcohol, but aren't too worried about its purity. So opening the
        valve means that I collect it all, and return none as reflux.

        ALso what sort of still head connection and pot do you use

        The connection to the pot lid is a 1.5 inch to 1 inch reducing joint, with
        a thread on the outside. Put it through the hole in the lid, and screw up
        the outer nut. The pot is a sterilizing unit (for boiling jars of jam or
        fruit in) called a Vacola.

        Tony