Heating elements?

  • glennnat@southwest.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      Can some one tell me what the heat up time is for a 2400 watt heating
      element for 25 liters of wash ??

      Also i am thinking of welding 2, 20 litre stock pots together so i
      only have to do one run instead of 2, 12.5 litre ones, if i was to
      install a heating element,would i be able to put it inside the stock
      pot? and do i have to be carefull that i don't get one with a
      thermostat????also does someone know what price they are and where i
      can get one?

      Thanks Glenn
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2001
        Glen,

        Assuming its starting at 15C, and will begin boiling at 94C, it will take
        around 55 minutes, longer if you have high heat loss (eg windy around the
        pot).

        Tony
      • G&N
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
          Tony ..i just read the email where you said that you open the valve when you
          get to 79deg,what do you mean by that?
          ALso what sort of still head connection and pot do you use ,i just have a 19
          litre cook pot and the still has a stainless steel bar welded to the bottom
          of the head ,so i get a really good fit with the split tube seal ,there are
          all sorts of sizes of clear tube that you can use ,also now with a column
          full of pot ss i get more back pressure and i am starting to get a couple of
          leaks at the start but a bit of tape where i get the leak stops any steam
          from leaking very quickly ...i will take a couple of Pot ss out and see how
          that goes..best of luck with it i find it so easy just to push the head on
          and when i am done i just give it a coupe of knocks and it is diasembled for
          cleaning:))also i just bought another pot so that i could just preheat the
          other 12.5 litres before the other batch has finished and it has a spot on
          fit with a tube with out grinding the very outside lip off ..so that was a
          bonus

          thanks Glenn
          Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

          > Glen,
          >
          > Assuming its starting at 15C, and will begin boiling at 94C, it will take
          > around 55 minutes, longer if you have high heat loss (eg windy around the
          > pot).
          >
          > Tony

        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
            Glen,

            >..i just read the email where you said that you open the valve when you
            >get to 79deg,what do you mean by that?

            I use the Nixon-Stone type of condensor (see http://www.gin-vodka.com ).
            Sorry I don't have a picture of mine yet, but Rob has posted one
            previously, and its also at
            http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm . This uses a manual
            needle valve to regulate how much of the distillate is collected, and thus
            by default, how much gets returned back to the column. When doing a normal
            run, I alter this split to ensure that I'm providing enough reflux to get
            the high purity I desire. At the end of the run, I want to collect the
            remaining alcohol, but aren't too worried about its purity. So opening the
            valve means that I collect it all, and return none as reflux.

            ALso what sort of still head connection and pot do you use

            The connection to the pot lid is a 1.5 inch to 1 inch reducing joint, with
            a thread on the outside. Put it through the hole in the lid, and screw up
            the outer nut. The pot is a sterilizing unit (for boiling jars of jam or
            fruit in) called a Vacola.

            Tony