To Tony Ackland

  • Jack Ricks
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27 4:47 PM
      Hey there Tony
      A couple of weeks ago you stated that you have built a
      still attached to a Vacola boiler.
      I have done now done the same and have a problem with it.
      The top of the still is made on the same style as my first still(the
      pics of it are in a previous post) and the problem I have is
      controling the temp of the boiler.It seems to be too erratic on the
      temp control.(the tower temp is up and down like a yoyo!) Do you use
      the thermostat on the Vacola to control the boiler temp, or have you
      a triac controller to do this? If so,have you made it yourself or
      have you used one from another appliance.

      I would appreciate any info you can supply regarding this problem
      with the Vacola boiler.Do you have pics of your still?

      Regards Jack
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2001
        Jack,

        Sorry for the late reply - I've been away for the week on business.
        Surprising how that can get in the way of a hobby.

        > ... the problem I have is
        >controling the temp of the boiler.It seems to be too erratic on the
        >temp control.(the tower temp is up and down like a yoyo!) Do you use
        >the thermostat on the Vacola to control the boiler temp, or have you
        >a triac controller to do this? If so,have you made it yourself or
        >have you used one from another appliance.

        No, I don't control the boiler. I just set the thermostat to maximum, so
        that it will stay on all the time. To do this, all you need is to make
        sure that the column is wide enough to handle all the vapour. Mine's a 1.5
        inch diameter, and its real happy. To control the temperature & purity at
        the top of the column (where it counts), all I do is adjust the reflux
        ratio - eg the amount of distillate being returned to trickle back down
        over the packing. This way the temperature stays rock steady. I wrote a
        fairly long rant about this on the 25th, to the "Distillers" group (not
        "New Distillers") called "Re: Temperature range". If interested, I can
        repost it here if you want.

        >I would appreciate any info you can supply regarding this problem
        >with the Vacola boiler.Do you have pics of your still?

        I'll try and post some pictures soon. Just a matter of finishing the rest
        of the film and getting it developed. My biggest hassle at this stage is
        getting a good seal between the lid and pot. I'm going to try the "split
        tubing" approach next weekend (my next distilling day)

        Tony