Blue distillate

  • cummingsc@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2001
      Ok folks. I've got a wierd one for you. After running 4 batches
      completely successfully with 90+% and no off colors or flavors, I ran
      a batch yesterday. I collect my distillate in 1/2L batches and keep
      them separate until I'm sure they are not contaminated with fusels.
      At the end of the run, my last 1/2L looked slightly blue. I let it
      sit and by today it is definately a light shade of blue and what's
      more, all the rest of my distillate is too. The early distillate is
      very light while the later is darker. After letting it sit, there
      seems to be a sedimentary cloudiness collecting around the edge and
      bottom of the glasses. Can anyone tell me what might be up? I have
      done nothing to the still since my last batch (which was fine) except
      to backflush it thoroughly with water.

      I'm not going to touch it until I know i haven't invented a new
      molecular form of cyanide. Thanks in advance to all the wise men (and
      women) out there who know more than me.

      - chris
    • roy.g@ihug.co.nz
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2001
        Hi Chris

        Go to the Distillers group and search for these previous posts on the
        subject 1314, 1315, 1316 and 1317

        Regards
        Roy