Solving the height problem with the stone nixon.

  • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2001
      Hello,

      I've been working on converting my stillmaster to a stone/nixon/type
      still.

      My cieling hight is limited so I've come up with a possible
      solution. I though you guys (and gals) might be interested.

      I made two concensers out of 1/2" tube (inner) and 3/4" tube
      (outer). One condenser is 12" long and the other is 24" long.

      I connected them to eachother with elbows and a screw-together
      joint. I will connect them to the still with a screw-together
      connecter. I am using the connectors that allow you to tighten the
      joint at any angle for ease-of-assembly.

      Anyway... What I wound up with is similar to an accordian. The two
      consensers are at about a 45 degree angle from the ground. see
      diagram:

      /
      /
      /
      /
      /
      /
      /
      \
      \ __
      \||

      These angles are not as sharp as mine but you get the idea (mine is
      shorter). The end result is nice. Being as the 12 inch condenser
      hangs to one side and the 24" condenser can hang mostly on the other
      side I can balance the condensers so that they don't try to tip the
      still over. I also balanced them from front to back so they are
      equal distance from the center of the column.

      This overcomes the top-heavy nature of the typical design and makes
      the still relatively stable, even full of colling water.

      Another result (and my main intention) is that I can make it stable
      without making the condenser go straight up, therefore decreasing the
      overall height of the still.

      Another advantage is that I can adjust the angles in case I move to a
      house with bigger (or smaller) cielings.

      I'll let you know how it works when I get the rest of the pieces.

      Happy distilling,

      Tim