to hillbillyman

  • Jack Ricks
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2001
      Hey there Homer

      The boiler on my still was an electric urn,the sort of thing you
      would have in an office/cafe to boil the water for coffee ect.
      It has a 1500w element in it with a thermostat that you can control
      the heat very easy.( I have a secondhand shop and these things come
      in quite often)
      I do have another boiler also,this is used for preserving at home
      (fruit,sauces ect) and I have yet to talk the wife into letting me
      use it.

      Here in Australia it is sold under the brand name "VACOLA".
      It is about 30litres(6.5imp gals)in size and would be ideal for the
      next still I build. The heater is 1800w and has a large thermostat to
      control the heat.The only problem with it is it has an alluminium lid
      and I will have to get a s/steel one made up and that will cost quite
      a few bucks.
      That was the advantage of using the smaller boiler,it had a s/steel
      lid and it was just so easy to weld the column to it.

      The column has s/steel pot scrubbers in it. These are easy to buy in
      Aussie and cost me $1.60 for 2 in a packet and they were the perfect
      size to fit the column so as not to fall out.The total cost for the
      scrubbers was less than 10 bucks.

      Regards Jack
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2001
        >I do have another boiler also,this is used for preserving at home
        >(fruit,sauces ect) and I have yet to talk the wife into letting me
        >use it.

        >Here in Australia it is sold under the brand name "VACOLA".
        >It is about 30litres(6.5imp gals)in size and would be ideal for the
        >next still I build. The heater is 1800w and has a large thermostat to
        >control the heat.The only problem with it is it has an alluminium lid
        >and I will have to get a s/steel one made up and that will cost quite
        >a few bucks.

        I've just built my new one on a Vacola. I'm using the original lid at this
        stage. It only presses on, but with a strip of cotton rag between the pot
        and the lid it seals reasonably (not totally) well. Nice too to have the
        tap on the side to help drain it once finished.

        Tony