Carbon Filtering

  • ekalb142000
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2002
      Hi
      I use a 1mtX40mmi/d tube.
      What is a good output rate.

      What is one fill of carbon capable of.
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2002
        You might e=mail "janpam ooms" (Australia) about this. He should be in the
        archives.
        JohnV

        ekalb142000 wrote:

        > Hi
        > I use a 1mtX40mmi/d tube.
        > What is a good output rate.
        >
        > What is one fill of carbon capable of.

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 7, 2002
          > I use a 1mtX40mmi/d tube.
          > What is a good output rate.
          > What is one fill of carbon capable of.

          I use to use 0.25m of about 25mm tube - I'd run it OK as a "slow drip"
          It would do about 8L of alcohol - any more and you'd start getting the
          impurities coming through - all the filtering spots had been filled.
          Scalling up for volume, yours might do 10x that - eg about 75-80 L

          Tony
        • Rich
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 7, 2005
            Hi Everyone
            I've been getting about 93 to 94% from my Brewhaus still. I'm only
            collecting between 78.4 and 79c and I have a little after taste that
            I don't like so I've started to filter it. Because there is only a
            small amount of impurities in it can anyone tell me how many liters
            I can reasonanly put thru it before I have to clean the carbon again.
            Maybe someone in the same boat as me might be able to help.
            Rich
          • popwahtosh
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 7, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <richardoneil2001@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Everyone
              > I've been getting about 93 to 94% from my Brewhaus still. I'm only
              > collecting between 78.4 and 79c and I have a little after taste
              that
              > I don't like so I've started to filter it. Because there is only a
              > small amount of impurities in it can anyone tell me how many liters
              > I can reasonanly put thru it before I have to clean the carbon
              again.
              > Maybe someone in the same boat as me might be able to help.
              > Rich

              =======================

              Hi, Rich. You can just put about 1 heaping teaspoon of carbon in 1
              liter of product. Wait about 3 or 4 days then strain it about 3 times
              through coffee filters . You can leave it on carbon as long as to
              want to if you're in no hurry. This is a tried and true method and
              the easiest

              Pop
            • Rich
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 7, 2005
                Hi Pop
                I've allready got 1 of those 5 foot 38mm filters. I put 12 liters
                thru it so far and it still tastes pretty good. So I'm going to keep
                going. I will try your method next time. It sounds a heck of alot
                less complicated. Thanks very much for the advice.
                Rich
              • Tim
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 8, 2005
                  Rich I get about 95-96% out of mine. I still do 2 x 9 litre runs @ 50% then discard.
                  I thought about using it more too because of the high purity but didn't really wanna sit down and think about it too much.

                  _____

                  I've been getting about 93 to 94% from my Brewhaus still. I'm only
                  collecting between 78.4 and 79c and I have a little after taste that
                  I don't like so I've started to filter it. Because there is only a
                  small amount of impurities in it can anyone tell me how many liters
                  I can reasonanly put thru it before I have to clean the carbon again.
                  Maybe someone in the same boat as me might be able to help.
                  Rich

                  FAQ and other information available at HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292vubet/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1110318235/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11
                  el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here
                  HYPERLINK "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=577578152"

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 8, 2005
                    Tim I thought that if you could get 95 to 96% you didn't need to
                    filter. That has been my goal so I would not have to. I bought a
                    15.5 stainless steel beer keg and I was going to try and find out if
                    I could buy a head to fit on it so I could get 95 to 96% so I
                    wouldn't have to filter. A lot of the posts I've read say you don't
                    have to. You must feel its benificial or you wouldn't be doing it.
                    Are you having off taste in your product? I guess I'm getting to
                    old. I have to buy because I can't build a square box. I sure love
                    this hobby. I like playing around and trying different things.
                    Rich
                    --

                    HYPERLINK "http://archive.nnytech.net/"http://archive.nnytech.net/
                    > FAQ and other information available at
                    HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > HYPERLINK
                    > "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292vubet/M=298184.6018725.7038619.300
                    1176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1110318235/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11
                    > el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here

                    > HYPERLINK "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                    M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=577578
                    152"

                    > _____
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    s.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/

                    HYPERLINK "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of
                    Service.

                    > --
                    4/03/2005

                    > --
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 9, 2005
                      That's what I thought, too, Rich. But now I am getting the very high
                      abv I have changed my mind. I was not happy with the unfiltered
                      batches (seemed to have a slight acetone-like contamination) so I now
                      filter again. It could well be possible to get an acceptable
                      separation to avoid the need for filtering but it probably means a
                      VERY slow take-off rate or, more likely, multiple distillations.

                      I have an open mind on this but I just have to admit that with my
                      current methods (single run) my stuff is better filtered. Maybe, at
                      some stage I will try the stripping run followed by a slow second run
                      but it just seems like such a lot of still watching!! Dunno.

                      Just my take, of course.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      wrote:

                      > Tim I thought that if you could get 95 to 96% you didn't need to
                      > filter. That has been my goal so I would not have to. I bought a
                      > 15.5 stainless steel beer keg and I was going to try and find out if
                      > I could buy a head to fit on it so I could get 95 to 96% so I
                      > wouldn't have to filter. A lot of the posts I've read say you don't
                      > have to. You must feel its benificial or you wouldn't be doing it.
                      > Are you having off taste in your product? I guess I'm getting to
                      > old. I have to buy because I can't build a square box. I sure love
                      > this hobby. I like playing around and trying different things.
                      > Rich
                      snip
                    • Tim
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 9, 2005
                        Rich a lot of the guys here are going to cringe at this but I was taught by a mate so I kinda follow what he taught me. You see I
                        don't separate heads or tails, it just all goes into the 1 bottle. Personally, and this may sound lazy, the whole distillation job
                        takes long enough without having to taste it etc, separate into 10 different bottles, and then chucking the heads and tails into the
                        next run. So just to be safe I run it through carbon anyway. I haven't actually tried the resulting product without filtering so
                        who knows. But what I don't know won't hurt me! 8-)

                        If anyone can convince me to change my ways I would welcome some persuasion but if it ain't broke..... 8-)

                        _____

                        HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK "http://archive.nnytech.net/"http://archive.nnytech.net/"HYPERLINK
                        HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org"HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org

                        "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292vubet/M=298184.6018725.7038619.300"http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292vubet/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3
                        00
                        1176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1110318235/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11
                        > el9gslf/*HYPERLINK "http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here

                        > HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?"http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                        M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=577578
                        152"

                        > _____
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        "http://group"http://group
                        s.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/

                        HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of
                        Service.

                        > --
                        4/03/2005

                        > --

                        FAQ and other information available at HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jdd0ct/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1110424590/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11
                        el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here
                        HYPERLINK "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=641292640"

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Tim
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 9, 2005
                          Lindsay, these 2 comments here just sit with me perfectly. A man after my own heart... 8-)

                          It already takes a day out of my weekend and the results are great so why make it harder on myself right!

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 9, 2005
                            Hi Tim
                            I only collect at 78.4c and stop before it hits 79c and then about a
                            half a liter to 80c and stop. The half liter goes in my next run. I
                            get about 4 liters of 93%+. I had my pipe filter set up so I started
                            to filter about 9 am Monday. I ran 32 liters thru, my whole supply
                            of unfiltered product. It all tasted good to me. I invited my son
                            inlaw and a couple of other taste testers and everyone agreed that
                            the last liter tasted as good as the first one. Now I'm going to
                            start making some snapps and other liquors. That being said I think
                            I'm going to try Pop's soaking method, when I run some in the
                            future. It seems to be alot less labour intensive. Thanks to all who
                            commented. I learned from the different points of view and I guess
                            that's what this great forum is all about.

                            wrote:
                            > Lindsay, these 2 comments here just sit with me perfectly. A man
                            after my own heart... 8-)

                            > It already takes a day out of my weekend and the results are great
                            so why make it harder on myself right!

                            > _____

                          • Rich
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 9, 2005
                              Hi Everyone
                              I filter about 32 liters of 45% thru the Gert Strand
                              funnel and pipe system at a time and get a nice clean
                              drink. To remove the carbon after I'm finished I take
                              of the bottom cap and filter, put a 5 gallon plastic
                              fermenter pail under it and add 2 liters of water and
                              out it comes. I than boil it and then stick it in a
                              11x7 inch glass dish and put in my toaster oven set at
                              350 degrees for 6 hours to dry and cook it. It come out
                              dry and ready to reuse. Hope this helps someone.
                              Rich
                            • Rich
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 9, 2005
                                wrote:

                                > Hi Everyone
                                > I filter about 32 liters of 45% thru the Gert Strand
                                > funnel and pipe system at a time and get a nice clean
                                > drink. To remove the carbon after I'm finished I take
                                > of the bottom cap and filter, put a 5 gallon plastic
                                > fermenter pail under it and add 2 liters of water and
                                > out it comes. I than boil it and then stick it in a
                                > 11x7 inch glass dish and put in my toaster oven set at
                                > 350 degrees for 6 hours to dry and cook it. It come out
                                > dry and ready to reuse. Hope this helps someone.
                                > Rich

                                Sorry Guys I screwed up. I filter 24 liters of 45% not 32 liters at a
                                time
                                Rich
                              • peter442737
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                  Presently have never used Carbon Filtering. Producing what I think is
                                  very good hooch at 95%. Would Carbon Filtering make any significant
                                  difference. Do not want to go to any additional expense if it is not
                                  going to make that much difference. All comments very much appreciated.
                                  thepatchworkdoll
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                    Hey Peter,

                                    If your using Turbo yeasts and /or trying to make a totally neutral
                                    alcohol at 95%, which I presume you are - then yes the general concensus
                                    here is that activated charcoal (carbon) filtering does make a
                                    difference in that it will help take out any off-flavors, along with
                                    clarification of the distillate. Check it out in the Info base and in

                                    Vino es Veritas,

                                    Jim.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737"
                                    <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

                                    > Presently have never used Carbon Filtering. Producing what I think is
                                    > very good hooch at 95%. Would Carbon Filtering make any significant
                                    > difference. Do not want to go to any additional expense if it is not
                                    > going to make that much difference. All comments very much
                                    appreciated.
                                    > thepatchworkdoll

                                  • Peter Coleman
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                      Hi Jim,

                                      Thanks for that. I have been distilling now for approx. 10 months
                                      and have ran about 10 distillations (stripping run followed by slow
                                      reflux run) 1500mm VM still with 33ltr boiling pot. I only use 2
                                      recipes for neutral both sugar washes.
                                      1. Sugar & tomato puree
                                      2. Sugar & wheat germ.
                                      Always use active dried bakers yeast and add bicarbonate of soda to
                                      stripped product.
                                      Im always on the lookout for great recipes and improvement though and
                                      your experience and valued tips would be very much appreciated

                                      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey Peter,
                                      >
                                      > If your using Turbo yeasts and /or trying to make a totally neutral
                                      > alcohol at 95%, which I presume you are - then yes the general
                                      concensus
                                      > here is that activated charcoal (carbon) filtering does make a
                                      > difference in that it will help take out any off-flavors, along with
                                      > clarification of the distillate. Check it out in the Info base and
                                      in

                                      > Vino es Veritas,
                                      >
                                      > Jim.
                                      >

                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737"
                                      > <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Presently have never used Carbon Filtering. Producing what I
                                      think is
                                      > > very good hooch at 95%. Would Carbon Filtering make any
                                      significant
                                      > > difference. Do not want to go to any additional expense if it is
                                      not
                                      > > going to make that much difference. All comments very much
                                      > appreciated.
                                      > > thepatchworkdoll

                                    • rye_junkie1
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Coleman"
                                        <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Jim,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for that. I have been distilling now for approx. 10 months
                                        > and have ran about 10 distillations (stripping run followed by slow
                                        > reflux run) 1500mm VM still with 33ltr boiling pot. I only use 2
                                        > recipes for neutral both sugar washes.
                                        > 1. Sugar & tomato puree
                                        > 2. Sugar & wheat germ.
                                        > Always use active dried bakers yeast and add bicarbonate of soda to
                                        > stripped product.
                                        > Im always on the lookout for great recipes and improvement though and
                                        > your experience and valued tips would be very much appreciated

                                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737"
                                        > > <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Presently have never used Carbon Filtering. Producing what I
                                        > think is
                                        > > > very good hooch at 95%. Would Carbon Filtering make any
                                        > significant
                                        > > > difference. Do not want to go to any additional expense if it is
                                        > not
                                        > > > going to make that much difference. All comments very much
                                        > > appreciated.
                                        > > > thepatchworkdoll

                                        For a long time I did not use Carbon. I started toying with it a
                                        couple of months ago using Aquarium Carbon. Even though this type of
                                        carbon is not as well suited for this hobby as some of the stuff from
                                        the online brew shops it does make quite a difference. I use the
                                        method of letting the spirit (Below 50%ABV) sit on the carbon in a
                                        Glass Jug for a few days. Honestly 2 days does the same job as 7.
                                        This makes sense as the guys that filter through a long tube have the
                                        Job done in a matter of hours. It has also been my experience that it
                                        will NOT help a Spirit that has been poorly distilled. It seems to
                                        work like the "Garbage In, Garbage Out" Principal.
                                        Basically it will take a spirit that you are already proud of and turn
                                        it into a spirit that you can compare to mid to some top shelf Vodkas.
                                        For example With the MUM wash pot distilled 4 times with Baking Soda
                                        added the spirit was very smooth and clean tasting. I filtered half
                                        of it through Carbon and had my Wife do the taste test. She didnt
                                        even make a funny face with the Carbon Stuff.

                                        Mason
                                      • peter442737
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                          Hi Mason
                                          See your point regards just throwing the carbon in for a few days.
                                          Is it liquid or granular carbon you use. Is it an appreciable
                                          difference and is it worth the extra expense. If you realy think its
                                          worth it please give me the nod and I will try it out.
                                          Regards
                                          Peter

                                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Coleman"
                                          > <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi Jim,
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks for that. I have been distilling now for approx. 10
                                          months
                                          > > and have ran about 10 distillations (stripping run followed by
                                          slow
                                          > > reflux run) 1500mm VM still with 33ltr boiling pot. I only use 2
                                          > > recipes for neutral both sugar washes.
                                          > > 1. Sugar & tomato puree
                                          > > 2. Sugar & wheat germ.
                                          > > Always use active dried bakers yeast and add bicarbonate of soda
                                          > > stripped product.
                                          > > Im always on the lookout for great recipes and improvement though
                                          and
                                          > > your experience and valued tips would be very much appreciated
                                          >
                                          > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737"

                                          > > think is
                                          > > significant
                                          > > not
                                          > > > appreciated.
                                          >

                                          > For a long time I did not use Carbon. I started toying with it a
                                          > couple of months ago using Aquarium Carbon. Even though this type
                                          of
                                          > carbon is not as well suited for this hobby as some of the stuff
                                          from
                                          > the online brew shops it does make quite a difference. I use the
                                          > method of letting the spirit (Below 50%ABV) sit on the carbon in a
                                          > Glass Jug for a few days. Honestly 2 days does the same job as 7.
                                          > This makes sense as the guys that filter through a long tube have
                                          the
                                          > Job done in a matter of hours. It has also been my experience that
                                          it
                                          > will NOT help a Spirit that has been poorly distilled. It seems to
                                          > work like the "Garbage In, Garbage Out" Principal.
                                          > Basically it will take a spirit that you are already proud of and
                                          turn
                                          > it into a spirit that you can compare to mid to some top shelf
                                          Vodkas.
                                          > For example With the MUM wash pot distilled 4 times with Baking Soda
                                          > added the spirit was very smooth and clean tasting. I filtered half
                                          > of it through Carbon and had my Wife do the taste test. She didnt
                                          > even make a funny face with the Carbon Stuff.
                                          >
                                          > Mason

                                        • rye_junkie1
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                            <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Mason
                                            > See your point regards just throwing the carbon in for a few days.
                                            > Is it liquid or granular carbon you use. Is it an appreciable
                                            > difference and is it worth the extra expense. If you realy think its
                                            > worth it please give me the nod and I will try it out.
                                            > Regards
                                            > Peter

                                            I dont know of any liquid Carbon. The stuff I use is from Petco.
                                            Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is the Brand. $12.00 for enough to do a few
                                            gallons. It will be up to you to decide if it is worth the expense or
                                            not. It is also more work. If I didnt think it was worth it I would
                                            not suggest you try it. I am actually thinking of buying a cubic foot
                                            of really good grade stuff from a water treatment supply. Thats
                                            enough to 25 or more gallons.

                                            Mason
                                          • mccumster
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 13, 2012
                                              How much alcohol do you lose with carbon filtering? Is there a substantial drop in the proof?