Re: Vertical Still with double reducersmilking machine connector

  • bokakob
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 5 7:35 PM
      Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
      a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
      most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
      suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Zeke Jones" <joneszeke@h...> wrote:
      > Buy a 2 inch,SS milking-machine connector...Female goes on the
      column...male
      > on the boiler...with this 'standard' connection,you can have an un-
      limited
      > array of boilers(boiler# x SS connectors),while using the same
      column....:>)

      > >From: "bokakob" <bokakob@y...>
      > >Now I have a dilemma of attaching the vertical column to the lid
      of
      > >an ordinary 20 Qt stainlees steel stock pot. I already saw a cast
      > >iron flange with the thread for 2" adapter which is supposedly
      > >should be soldered on the reflux pipe itself. Somehow I didn't
      like
      > >the looks of it though it should work. If you have any
      suggestions,
      > >would you be so kind to share it with me?

    • Zeke Jones
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 5 7:57 PM
        I would try a Dairy Equipment Supplier...probably wont find one on Wall St
        or Harlem...after all,NY STATE has a rather large Dairy Industry....they
        dont look for YOU.....figure it out Einstein! :>)

        >From: "bokakob" <bokakob@...>

        >Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
        >a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
        >most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
        >suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?

      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 5 7:58 PM
          bokakob wrote:
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Vertical Still with double reducersmilking
          machine connector

          Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
          a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
          most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
          suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?
          -------------------------
          Similar connectors are used for both water and gas plumbing, and suppliers
          of these should abound in the Big Apple. They are also used to connect
          washing machines and garden hoses to taps (sorry ... faucets!).
          Just look for tubing connectors, one with an external thread and the other a
          matching internal thread.
          Tip: in these politically correct times, do not ask for a male/female screw
          connector!

          Mike Nixon
        • Zeke Jones
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 5 8:12 PM
            First,let me appologize for my first reply to your query.....you dont find
            a Milking Machine Connector in a hardware store...you get it from a Dairy
            Equip Supplier...if that fails,try www.brewhaus.com they arent cheap!!!

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 5 8:31 PM
              Although you are the 'accepted' guru of distilling,I have to disagree with
              your post....the 'Milking Machine Connector' I mentioned is a proprietary
              item....the connector I am refering to is a 2 INCH connector...kind of large
              for a garden hose...:>)

              >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
              >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Vertical Still with double
              >reducersmilking machine connector
              >Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:58:35 +1200
              >
              >bokakob wrote:
              >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Vertical Still with double reducersmilking
              >machine connector
              >
              >Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
              >a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
              >most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
              >suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?
              >-------------------------
              >Similar connectors are used for both water and gas plumbing, and suppliers
              >of these should abound in the Big Apple. They are also used to connect
              >washing machines and garden hoses to taps (sorry ... faucets!).
              >Just look for tubing connectors, one with an external thread and the other
              >matching internal thread.
              >Tip: in these politically correct times, do not ask for a male/female screw
              >connector!
              >
              >Mike Nixon

            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 5 8:56 PM
                I do have a beard Zeke, but it hasn't grown to accepted Guru dimensions yet!
                Just a keen distiller, like us all.
                I agree with you that hose connectors are smaller than the ideal of the
                Milking Machine Connector you suggested, and which would be ideal. However,
                if he has trouble laying his hands on one of those, a 1 inch hose brass
                connector might serve his needs. I find that that the ones I use work fine,
                though I'm tempted now to 'upgrade' to what you suggest. Are they the ones
                with 'snap' connectors?

                All the best,
                Mike

                Although you are the 'accepted' guru of distilling,I have to disagree with
                your post....the 'Milking Machine Connector' I mentioned is a proprietary
                item....the connector I am refering to is a 2 INCH connector...kind of large
                for a garden hose...:>)

                >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
                >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Vertical Still with double
                >reducersmilking machine connector
                >Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:58:35 +1200
                >
                >bokakob wrote:
                >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Vertical Still with double reducersmilking
                >machine connector
                >
                >Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
                >a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
                >most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
                >suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?
                >-------------------------
                >Similar connectors are used for both water and gas plumbing, and suppliers
                >of these should abound in the Big Apple. They are also used to connect
                >washing machines and garden hoses to taps (sorry ... faucets!).
                >Just look for tubing connectors, one with an external thread and the other
                >matching internal thread.
                >Tip: in these politically correct times, do not ask for a male/female screw
                >connector!
                >
                >Mike Nixon

              • John Langston
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 5 9:41 PM
                  These milking machine devices are apparently multi-purpose. I am indeed in the right site.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6 4:26 AM
                    --- In new_distillers@y..., "bokakob" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                    > Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
                    > a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
                    > most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
                    > suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?

                    Bokabob,

                    This item is included in Gert Strands' catalogue,www.partyman.se,

                    good luck.

                    Tony.
                  • staffdevuk
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6 4:27 AM

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6 4:34 AM
                        Sorry folks, I seem to have developed cyber-stutter.

                        Tony.
                      • Robert N
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 6 7:02 AM

                          I personally have used both “RJT” and “Triclover” Stainless Steel fittings. I purchased these items from the Stainless Steel pipe supply house http://www.midwaymetals.com.au/products1.htm obviously this place isn’t just around the corner for you, but it will give you a place to start looking to see what is available. I personally recommend the “Triclover” fitting, they are available in 2”, 4” and 6”; I used a 4” one. It is quick and easy to assemble the still for use looks good and will allow you to connect any and all plumbing at a later date. Oh, and did I mention no leaks at all? Only draw back it attaching it to copper, stainless to stainless requires a TIG welder (often found in engine reconditioning or muffler shops) if you are after something in the brass line, then try a 2”BSP male/female union.

                          Do it once and do it right! After all you will end up spending the same amount at a later date to fix it up.

                          Have a great day!

                          Robert

                          Look, I must be realistic. I live in New York City and if I ask for
                          a "milking-machine-connector" somewhere in a hardware store I will
                          most definitely get strange looks. Now, would you be kind enough to
                          suggest me WHERE I can purchase this interesting device?

                          --- In new_distillers@y..., "Zeke Jones" <joneszeke@h...> wrote:

                          > Buy a 2 inch,SS milking-machine connector...Female goes on the
                          column...male
                          > on the boiler...with this 'standard' connection,you can have an un-
                          limited
                          > array of boilers(boiler# x SS connectors),while using the same
                          column....:>)

                          > >From: "bokakob" <bokakob@y...>
                          > >Now I have a dilemma of attaching the vertical column to the lid
                          of
                          > >an ordinary 20 Qt stainlees steel stock pot. I already saw a cast
                          > >iron flange with the thread for 2" adapter which is
                          supposedly
                          > >should be soldered on the reflux pipe itself. Somehow I didn't
                          like
                          > >the looks of it though it should work. If you have any
                          suggestions,
                          > >would you be so kind to share it with me?

                        • John Vandermeulen
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 6 7:03 AM
                            Hello bokakob,
                            I am puzzled over the arrangement of diameters in your design. The photos
                            show a 3/4" diam copper pipe passing up from a 2" (?) column (?), through two
                            reducers, and up to the vertical in-line condenser. The condenser appears to
                            be 2" also, with a copper tubing coil inside it.
                            Question: where does the long 3/4" pipe originate - somewhere within the 2"
                            column?
                            Question: what is the detail for the interior of the column?
                            John V

                            bokakob wrote:

                            > A few days ago someone(pardon me -- I am bad with nammes) published
                            > a design which is similar to the design I published earlier. After I
                            > looked at this design with two inverted reducers,
                            > I had some hesitation regarding the looks; after I tried to solder
                            > my diagonal Lilliputian collector plate, the inverted reducers
                            > design suddenly looked much more attractive. Bitterly realizing that
                            > someone improved my layout, I went to the nearest plumbing shop and
                            > purchased the parts. Money did not matter anymore. I have to
                            > complete the job! Parts were surprisingly easy to saw cut. It needed
                            > olnly some work with files after to smooth the edges.
                            > The layout is good and the final product should looked ready for
                            > The Museum of Modern Art in New York. I wonder how it would look in
                            > stainless steel.
                            >
                            > I agree, Stone-Nixon design is the father of this offspring, but if
                            > I want to keep something, as somebody on the web said "for
                            > lifetime," I would want it to be pretty.
                            >
                            > Now I have a dilemma of attaching the vertical column to the lid of
                            > an ordinary 20 Qt stainlees steel stock pot. I already saw a cast
                            > iron flange with the thread for 2" adapter which is supposedly
                            > should be soldered on the reflux pipe itself. Somehow I didn't like
                            > the looks of it though it should work. If you have any suggestions,
                            > would you be so kind to share it with me?
                            >
                            > I uploaded new pictures of unfinished reflux column and its
                            > components. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. I do
                            > realize and deeply appreciate that whatever I show is the direct
                            > result of internet help.
                            >
                            > The larger size pipe is 2" diameter the inner, smaller pipe is ¾"
                            > diameter.

                          • bokakob
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 6 8:24 AM
                              3/4" pipe will be cut later. The length should not protrude beyond
                              the top reducer wide rim and at the bottom it should end just below
                              the narrow 3/4" part of the lower reducer. It must protrude just a
                              little to allow condensate to drip in the center rather than roll
                              down the pipe. One of the photos does say that the 3/4" will be cut
                              later. I also uploaded the picture "current design" which explains
                              the principle of work for this still (it is not mine - someone else
                              developed it, but openly admitting that my posting helped) in my
                              files section.

                              --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            • Nicholas Hamilton
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 6 9:09 AM
                                >From: "bokakob" <bokakob@...>
                                >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Vertical Still with double reducers -
                                >clarification
                                >Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:24:56 -0000
                                >
                                >3/4" pipe will be cut later. The length should not protrude beyond
                                >the top reducer wide rim and at the bottom it should end just below
                                >the narrow 3/4" part of the lower reducer. It must protrude just a
                                >little to allow condensate to drip in the center rather than roll
                                >down the pipe. One of the photos does say that the 3/4" will be cut
                                >later. I also uploaded the picture "current design" which explains
                                >the principle of work for this still (it is not mine - someone else
                                >developed it, but openly admitting that my posting helped)

                                Yep that was me. It looks like we will both be building practically the
                                same design. The only differences I see are the column diameter (1-1/2" on
                                mine, 2" on yours), the choice of boiler (10 gal water heater here) and my
                                decision to use unions to ease cleaning/packing.

                                Earlier you where saying that you where having trouble soldering small items
                                with your torch. If you heat the larger idem instead of the smaller idem
                                that you are trying to attach it the job will be much easier.

                                Good Luck

                                -Nick

                                in my

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 6 9:43 AM
                                  I uploaded a little more detailed drawing of this vertical double
                                  reducer design in the files directory.

                                  --- In new_distillers@y..., "Nicholas Hamilton" <nhamilto40@h...>

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 6 11:56 AM
                                    Hello,
                                    somehow I lost the posting re: a stack of small 'plates' for a 2" column. I
                                    think that it was one of yours (??). If so, would you post that again -
                                    ideally with a sketch or photo? I must admit to becoming curious about your
                                    design, and especially the building of it.
                                    Many thanks,
                                    John V
                                  • mx28985
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 6 5:36 PM
                                      Hi bokabob.

                                      When I saw your first design of a 'simple reflux still', I
                                      thought: "Great, I like simplicity", but then you started to modify,
                                      expand and add more & more parts and generally making it 'non-
                                      simple'. I live in Denmark, but I have heard of 'KISS'; (no, not the
                                      band), but: Keep It Simple and Stupid; and I know Murphy from
                                      personal experience. What I'm trying to say is: I admire your
                                      tenacity, but it seems to me you've lost perspective of the exercise
                                      and have embarked on a futile journey leading no where, slugging on
                                      for the sole purpose of making 'the perfect still', and never getting
                                      to use it. I'm sorry if I have hurt your feelings, but I had to say
                                      this.
                                      Now --- My 'solution', to keeping the distillate trickling down the
                                      center of the column, is an "inverted spider" or octopus, depending
                                      on the number of 'legs' you give the critter. Place it just below the
                                      condenser-coil and it will catch most of the refluxing spirits and
                                      direct it back down the column. How's that? Just an idea.
                                      Feel free to bashing me for venting, and don't let me discourage
                                      you from trying out new ways to produce 'The water of life'.

                                      Regards jh
                                    • bokakob
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 7 5:29 AM
                                        Indeed, it was my question regarding the plates. I was wondering why
                                        nobody is using it. As I was told it is inefficient and becomes
                                        feasible at about size 6 inches in diameter. So, though I am not
                                        convinced I will not try to design that for now. Let me complete
                                        the column and other parts for the distiller itself. I will deal with
                                        packing OR plates later. However I could see something like tree
                                        vertical stainless steel 1/8" diameter rods running the length of
                                        the
                                        condenser with smallish plates brazed on it in a manner that
                                        condensate cascades down on each in sequence.

                                        wrote:
                                        > Hello,
                                        > somehow I lost the posting re: a stack of small 'plates' for a 2"
                                        column. I
                                        > think that it was one of yours (??). If so, would you post that
                                        again -
                                        > ideally with a sketch or photo? I must admit to becoming curious
                                        about your
                                        > design, and especially the building of it.
                                        > Many thanks,
                                        > John V
                                      • bokakob
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 7 5:57 AM
                                          The problem with my first published design was that I did not like
                                          3-inch diameter condenser. The other problem I was kindly pointed to
                                          as that condensate would not drip down on the packing material, ather
                                          it would roll down adhering to the sides of the condenser column. So,
                                          I had to modify this design slightly. Then there was time when I
                                          actually had to handle hack saw and blow torch. As it turns out it is
                                          not easy to work with 3 basic tools (hack saw, blow torch, files)
                                          in the kitchen sink. The result was that I had to use different parts
                                          which is easier to align, saw cut and braze together. The new
                                          "double-reducer" vertical condenser head is the result of this
                                          evolution.
                                          Also it is cheaper. The 3"x2" reducer costs about $15 and two
                                          2"x ¾ " reducers cost about $9. Regarding the number of
                                          parts it has just one more inverted reducer. I do not count saw
                                          cutting of ¾" pipe.

                                          Lets count major components (discounting valves etc.):

                                          Double-Reducer Condenser Head:
                                          ================================
                                          1. 2" cup
                                          2. 2" dia. x 9" long condenser coil
                                          3. 2"x ¾ " reducer
                                          4. 2" x ¾ " reducer
                                          5. ¾ " central tube
                                          6. 2" dia pipe for reflux column

                                          Old "simple design":
                                          ================================
                                          1 3" dia. cup
                                          2. 3" dia. x 9" long condenser
                                          3. 2 ½ " dia condenser coil
                                          4. 3" x 2" reducer
                                          5. 2" dia. reflux column

                                          You see, by adding one reducer, the design becomes easier to build,
                                          more compact, cheaper and visually more attractive. Regarding
                                          making "perfect" still --- you are wrong. Perfect and
                                          simplest is a pot still made from tea kettle blowing hot steam on
                                          cold water jar. All I want to do is ONE still and use till my
                                          grandchildren will start asking me what that thing is. If I can make
                                          it functional, versatile and nice looking it is even better. When
                                          you suggested a "spider" in the middle I was wondering how
                                          you are going to MANUFACTURE that with a file, players, blow torch
                                          and a saw cut. It reminds me my diagonal plate – it sounds great, but
                                          tough to build. Of course if you have facilities to build it please
                                          do it YOURSELF.

                                          I suggest you check my latest hand drafted drawing I posted in the
                                          files section.

                                          Last but not least --- you DON'T hurt my feelings darling.

                                          P.S. Somebody please explain to me that "wrap-unwrap" radio button at
                                          the bottom please, I am tired of reformattin line breaks.