copper pot scrubbers

  • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2001
      Hello,

      I went in search of stainless steel pot scrubbers. I'm beginning to
      think that my town has something against stainless steel. I haven't
      been able to find any.

      I did find some copper pot scrubbers, though. They are the kind that
      are made of flat metal strips meshed together. I was able to easily
      fit 7 of these in my 2"x36" column.

      I will let you know how they work tomorrow when I do a run.

      -Tim
    • yahoo
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2001
        I found copper pot scrubbers at Pic and Save... 99cents for 3
        So Calif.
        bugs

      • ed smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2001
          for ss scrubbers in the usa, try Smart & Final stores.. They sell scrubbers
          in boxes of 4 each for about $7.50/box US. They are large and are oily! I
          had to boil mine several times and then run through the dishwasher to get
          clean. Now they work great.

          >From: MtrcyclMon@...
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [new_distillers] copper pot scrubbers
          >Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:01:39 -0000
          >
          >Hello,
          >
          >I went in search of stainless steel pot scrubbers. I'm beginning to
          >think that my town has something against stainless steel. I haven't
          >been able to find any.
          >
          >I did find some copper pot scrubbers, though. They are the kind that
          >are made of flat metal strips meshed together. I was able to easily
          >fit 7 of these in my 2"x36" column.
          >
          >I will let you know how they work tomorrow when I do a run.
          >
          >-Tim

        • emerson715
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
            Has anyone out there used "Chore Boy" copper pot scrubbers?? Are they
            pure copper or some copper coated something else??
          • jkirby007@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
              walmart has a good grade of copper scrubbers and as they have a good set of
              stainless steel, ive used both and find that the stainless steel is much
              better and easier to clean for me ,I see better and purer production w stainless,
              as much as 5 to 7 % better purity and that werks for me
              jesse jkirby007@...

              ps after last nite`s show on cops im hiding my stuff better and cuttin off
              my friends from my hooch

            • kiss my ass
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                I have used chore boy and they are ok but the very best is BRAWNY... they
                come in a box of 2 that says 50% larger... unravel one scrubber into the two
                pieces that each is made from and roll them up into one roll that fits
                perfectly into a 2 inch column......I tie each roll around the middle with a
                piece of small copper wire to hold it together.. ....these are better than
                the amphora packing ...I know I will take a hit for saying that but is is
                true.....they do cost a little bit more than the amphora mesh.....they are
                sold by Ingles Markets in this area...southeast US

                Kim
                > walmart has a good grade of copper scrubbers and as they have a good set
                > of
                > stainless steel, ive used both and find that the stainless steel is much
                > better and easier to clean for me ,I see better and purer production w
                > stainless,
                > as much as 5 to 7 % better purity and that werks for me
                > jesse jkirby007@...
                >
                > ps after last nite`s show on cops im hiding my stuff better and cuttin
                > off
                > my friends from my hooch

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Levi Langershank
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                  I stopped by Ingles,in Athens,the other day....$10.99 per lb for
                  Ribeye!!!!!.....definately the highest prices in town....:>)...oh,almost
                  forgot,JMPO...:>)

                  >From: "kiss my ass" <kiss_my_ass@...>
                  >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] copper pot scrubbers
                  .....they are
                  >sold by Ingles Markets in this area...southeast US
                  >
                  >Kim

                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                    kiss my ass wrote:

                    I have used chore boy and they are ok but the very best is BRAWNY... they
                    come in a box of 2 that says 50% larger... unravel one scrubber into the two
                    pieces that each is made from and roll them up into one roll that fits
                    perfectly into a 2 inch column......I tie each roll around the middle with a
                    piece of small copper wire to hold it together.. ....these are better than
                    the amphora packing ...I know I will take a hit for saying that but is is
                    true.....they do cost a little bit more than the amphora mesh.....they are
                    sold by Ingles Markets in this area...southeast US
                    =====================
                    Hi Kim,

                    Please do not take this as a "hit", but as a serious question. In what way
                    are these scrubbers better than the Amphora mesh? We did a lot of testing
                    of many different products, but couldn't find any that had a better
                    structure for use as packing ... surface/volume ratio, thread shape, weave
                    structure (to prevent clumping), pure copper, ability to form slugs of mesh
                    of any diameter, etc.

                    I have no doubt that you find the Brawny scrubbers very good (we did too, as
                    well as Chore Boy!), but is it because you find them easier to use, or what?
                    Would they be equally as easy to use if packing columns with other
                    diameters?

                    As I said Kim, this is NOT intended as a "hit" or as a cheap commercial ...
                    I'm seriously interested as we are always looking for better ways of doing
                    things.

                    All the best,
                    Mike N
                    Amphora Society
                  • suitcase1499@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                      In a message dated 1/17/2005 4:34:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      mike@... writes:

                      kiss my ass wrote:

                      I have used chore boy and they are ok but the very best is BRAWNY... they
                      come in a box of 2 that says 50% larger... unravel one scrubber into the two
                      pieces that each is made from and roll them up into one roll that fits
                      perfectly into a 2 inch column......I tie each roll around the middle with a
                      piece of small copper wire to hold it together.. ....these are better than
                      the amphora packing ...I know I will take a hit for saying that but is is
                      true.....they do cost a little bit more than the amphora mesh.....they are
                      sold by Ingles Markets in this area...southeast US

                      They are also sold at Bi- LO supermarkets and they are in fact the best I"ve
                      used and Idon't have to order them just go down to the market and pickem up.
                      Around here the Brawny with 50% more is $1.49 per pack of 2 which is actually 4.

                      Suitcase

                    • suitcase1499@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                        In a message dated 1/17/2005 12:39:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        jkirby007@... writes:

                        ps after last nite`s show on cops im hiding my stuff better and cuttin off
                        my friends from my hooch

                        You think maybe the pot plants might have had a little something to do with
                        that???

                        Suitcase

                      • deviljug
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "emerson715"
                          <emerson715@y...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone out there used "Chore Boy" copper pot scrubbers?? Are
                          they
                          > pure copper or some copper coated something else??

                          have used both chore boy & the brawy. the copper mesh (amphora)
                          would get my vote. a considerable advanage. clete
                        • kiss my ass
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                            Mike,

                            I have nothing at all bad to say about the amphora mesh, it's just that the
                            brawny scrubbers are made of a little heavier copper and they are just the
                            right size for the 2 inch column.... I used the amphora mesh and don't think
                            it functions any differently than the brawny..... it's just a personal
                            choice.

                            The roll of amphora I bought was 30 feet (I think) and it wasn't enough to
                            fill my 4 foot column.... so I bought a few scrubbers of different brands
                            and finally settled on the brawny with the 50% bigger on the box.... I
                            liked them so well that bought enough to fill the column and that's what I
                            use now..

                            Kim

                          • jkirby007@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                              hehehehehehehe yep it did but these boys mean business and they gonna git us
                              if they can, i used to be one of em till i retired .
                              but our whisky is the best and doesnt even resemble what they were trying to
                              lay on us .
                              I make gud whisky and im proud of it ,
                              arte there any of us ex 007 out there that make gud stuff.
                              keep the faith we are a dyin breed

                              jesse jkirby007@...

                            • jkirby007@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                                i still say that w what ive saw and learned aboiut scrubbers id stick to ss
                                steel they just do a better job and are easier to clean

                              • jkirby007@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                                  brawny is what walmart has and chore boy also they work good and also the ss
                                  steel i use is by Arden bought at walmart for 99 cents for 2
                                  jesse jkirby007@...

                                • Levi Langershank
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 17, 2005
                                    Whats to clean?...after I finish with a batch(2-4 runs),I rinse the boiler
                                    with some of my cooling water...I then place 2-3 qts of the same water in
                                    the boiler and run it full-blast till I have collected a quart or so...then
                                    I remove the cap from my column and run it for an additional 6-8
                                    minutes...remove the column and let it drain and dry......after 15 or 20
                                    batches the copper still looks good.......:>)