Re: [new_distillers] Holstein Still

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 3:28 PM
      From: John Vandermeulen
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Holstein Still

      Thanks Mike, very much. And very useful. I am puzzled, however, over the
      use of these particular stills in the micro-distilleries for brandies. The
      company description assigns these as high purity stills, and the column
      with
      the little 'port holes' as a rectification column - so wouldn't one want a
      potstill for brandies?
      John V
      ----------------------
      Hi John,
      The only thing I know about these stills is what I've seen on the net.
      However, they look very much like steam heated whiskey stills with a long
      lyne arm leading to the condenser. The jacket around this lyne arm does
      look strange, particularly as the ports up its side appear to be open ..
      with the exception of one pic where the bottom port is shown blanked off. I
      therefore suspect that the jacket is a means of controlling the amount of
      reflux condensation that will occur in the lyne arm, using air flowing in
      the bottom ports and out the top ones. The amount of reflux will, of course
      be low, but that is what you want with a flavored spirit. It does, however,
      appear to be a neat way of achieving more control over the composition of
      the product, hence the claim for "high purity" (of flavor). Does this
      "guess" seem reasonable to you?

      Reminder for those who want to see pics of this still:
      http://www.a-holstein.de/index_v4.htm
      http://www.a-holstein.de/en/index_en.htm

      Mike Nixon