Re: [new_distillers] Holstein Still

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 2:58 PM
      Thanks Mike, very much. And very useful. I am puzzled, however, over the
      use of these particular stills in the micro-distilleries for brandies. The
      company description assigns these as high purity stills, and the column with
      the little 'port holes' as a rectification column - so wouldn't one want a
      potstill for brandies?
      John V

      Mike Nixon wrote:

      > John Vandermeulen wrote:
      > Subject: [new_distillers] Holstein Still
      >
      > Does anyone have details or information on the Holstein Still. I did
      > search the web already, but am willing to accept any url's or any other
      > information. Many thanks,
      > John V
      > Arnold Holstein GmbH make them. Good detailed pics
      > http://www.a-holstein.de/index_v4.htm
      > http://www.a-holstein.de/en/index_en.htm
      >
      > Other passing references
      > http://www.sallys-place.com/beverages/spirits/eau_de_vie.htm
      > http://www.bardenay.com/pages/distillery.html
      > http://www.egr.msu.edu/age/BE/department_facilities.pdf
      > http://www.franson.com/brandy.htm
      > http://www.beveragebusiness.com/art-arch/mmbreed05.html
      > http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/03.02.00/grappa-0009.html
      >
      > Mike Nixon

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3 3:28 PM
        From: John Vandermeulen
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Holstein Still

        Thanks Mike, very much. And very useful. I am puzzled, however, over the
        use of these particular stills in the micro-distilleries for brandies. The
        company description assigns these as high purity stills, and the column
        with
        the little 'port holes' as a rectification column - so wouldn't one want a
        potstill for brandies?
        John V
        ----------------------
        Hi John,
        The only thing I know about these stills is what I've seen on the net.
        However, they look very much like steam heated whiskey stills with a long
        lyne arm leading to the condenser. The jacket around this lyne arm does
        look strange, particularly as the ports up its side appear to be open ..
        with the exception of one pic where the bottom port is shown blanked off. I
        therefore suspect that the jacket is a means of controlling the amount of
        reflux condensation that will occur in the lyne arm, using air flowing in
        the bottom ports and out the top ones. The amount of reflux will, of course
        be low, but that is what you want with a flavored spirit. It does, however,
        appear to be a neat way of achieving more control over the composition of
        the product, hence the claim for "high purity" (of flavor). Does this
        "guess" seem reasonable to you?

        Reminder for those who want to see pics of this still: