water jacket/boiler

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2002
      Hello all,
      Herewith the reply from George791 to a couple of queries that I had sent
      him - namely clearing up the business of dimensions which was not that
      clear in his first posting. He asked me to send the folloing along to you.

      ""
      sorry for the confusion on the boiler and distillation tank,
      The inside
      diameter of the boiler tank is 47 inches in circumference ruffly 17"
      wide and will have a height of 17 inches. the bottom plate will be
      welded solid on both sides and the top will be manufactured into a
      double flange which will hold the distillation tank .
      The distillation tank will set centered inside the boiler, 4 inches up
      from the bottom of the boiler tank.
      This will
      leave 2 1/2 inches of space around the distillation tank, I will leave
      out total volume of water held in the boiler jacket once the
      distillation tank is in place as I have no idea at this point what it
      will be, as I'm still in the design stage. the
      distillation tank will be capped off and flanged to hold the tower on.
      The distillation tank dimensions are 29 inches in circumference which is
      8 inches wide and 19 inches tall this is a standard 5 gallon soda pop
      container , when set in the boiler tank , more than half of the tank
      will be inside the tank. I know I said the height of the tank was 34
      inches, this was a mistake as it only is 19 inches tall. Anyway
      the Idea of using the steam injection is not to use high pressure steam
      but a passive low pressure flow in to the distillation tank as a means
      of a secondary heating source and a secondary pressure venting.
      At no time will the boiler be under high pressure.
      The wattage size of the heating elements can be lowered if boiling temp
      is a problem.
      The whole Idea behind my design is to use a passive heating source that
      will
      in no way burn the mash making the need for straining the mash
      unnecessary. The way it will be set up is so all you have to do is open
      the top of the distillation tank up and pour in the mash, set the
      distillation tank into the boiler jacket and flange in place connect up
      the Passive steam line , and flange on the the tower fill with water to
      the right level for heating and begin distilling, as for draining simply
      vent the boiler of any possible pressure,unflange the distillation tank
      remove the tower for cleaning pull out the Distill. Tank and pour out
      the wasted mash. or stillage, and clean. I hope
      this clears some of the confusion up.

      ""