Re: [new_distillers] Re: Wheat Whisky

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
      Hello all,
      Tony (staffdevuk) mentioned distilling off the whole mash, rather than off
      the wort. I am curious whether anyone has in fact distilled the entire mash,
      instead of separating the spent lees and working only with the fermented
      liquid. (I seem to remember that the moonshiners in the eastern US used to
      ferment and then pump everything over into their boiler, and distill the
      entire mess. They didn't use water jackets - so, did it burn onto their
      boiler?)
      Anyone out there who does this? And describe the result, please?
      John V.
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
        I do that with fruit mashes with suspended solids- it works perfectly when I use it with grain as well.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
          It works with a water jacket or with steam heating (either pumped through the mash or used to heat the kettle)- if on a direct element, it must be brought up to a distilling temp VERY slowly- or it will scorch.
        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
            The following is off the website listed here
            "SUPER AO is a special Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product designed to
            provide the highest levels of fungal alpha-amylase"
            http://www.americanbiosystems.com/superao.htm
            As it is used in fermentation of a wine (sake), probably for the same purpose
            as the Beano product, I expect it harmless. However, you might check with
            your pharmacist.
            John V

          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
              The biggest concern when trying out these types of fungus-derived enzymes is
              their flavor- Beano is totally neutral- koji- type molds are responsible for
              the formation of over 500 separate flavor compounds in sake- all of whom will
              ruin the flavor of a whiskey.