Re: [new_distillers] Re: Wheat Whisky

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
      Hello Tony,
      Using a water-jacket for your kettle should work - presumably you would do a
      rough filtration of your mash to remove much/most of the spent hulls etc. and
      then distilling only the milky liquid. The water-jacket method would
      preclude hot spots in your distillation kettle, and hence no burning onto the
      bottom.
      But...best to try it. I would.
      On another note - have you used this set-up as yet? If so, how much do you
      distill normally, and how long does that take?
      John V

      staffdevuk wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello again,
      > > I forgot to mention in my last reply that wheat, for me, is very
      > difficult to
      > > mash and get to the distilling stage. It is notorious for
      > gelatinizing, and
      > > I, for one, have yet to figure out how to filter, clarify, or
      > otherwise
      > > change it from a soupy cloudy liquid to something that won't burn
      > on the
      > > bottom of your kettle.
      > > If there is anyone out there who has the answer - please!!! (I did
      > try
      > > Beano, with no luck.)
      > > John V
      > >

      > John,
      >
      > I have a 22 gall. copper which will house a 14 gall. fermenting bin
      > perfectly so I could use it as a water jacket. I could distill the
      > whole mess without having to separate it.
      >
      > Do you think this will work?
      >
      > I could easily modify the lid to make it a pot still.
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > Tony.

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • staffdevuk
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
        wrote:
        > Hello Tony,
        > Using a water-jacket for your kettle should work - presumably you
        would do a
        > rough filtration of your mash to remove much/most of the spent
        hulls etc. and
        > then distilling only the milky liquid. The water-jacket method
        would
        > preclude hot spots in your distillation kettle, and hence no
        burning onto the
        > bottom.
        > But...best to try it. I would.
        > On another note - have you used this set-up as yet? If so, how
        much do you
        > distill normally, and how long does that take?
        > John V

        Hi John V.

        I wasn't thinking of any filtration at all , just distilling the
        grains as well.

        I havn't used this set up yet,I normally use a 30 Lit. reflux still.

        My copper is normally used for beer, but it seems ideal for this
        application.The heating is done by three elements, one being
        controlled by a thermostat, and can hold temperatures pretty steady.

        I was thinking of a ten gallon mash. I'll let you know how long it
        takes.

        Tony.
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
          Hello all,
          Tony (staffdevuk) mentioned distilling off the whole mash, rather than off
          the wort. I am curious whether anyone has in fact distilled the entire mash,
          instead of separating the spent lees and working only with the fermented
          liquid. (I seem to remember that the moonshiners in the eastern US used to
          ferment and then pump everything over into their boiler, and distill the
          entire mess. They didn't use water jackets - so, did it burn onto their
          boiler?)
          Anyone out there who does this? And describe the result, please?
          John V.
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
            I do that with fruit mashes with suspended solids- it works perfectly when I use it with grain as well.
          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2002
              It works with a water jacket or with steam heating (either pumped through the mash or used to heat the kettle)- if on a direct element, it must be brought up to a distilling temp VERY slowly- or it will scorch.
            • John Vandermeulen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
                The following is off the website listed here
                "SUPER AO is a special Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product designed to
                provide the highest levels of fungal alpha-amylase"
                http://www.americanbiosystems.com/superao.htm
                As it is used in fermentation of a wine (sake), probably for the same purpose
                as the Beano product, I expect it harmless. However, you might check with
                your pharmacist.
                John V

              • ups474@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
                  The biggest concern when trying out these types of fungus-derived enzymes is
                  their flavor- Beano is totally neutral- koji- type molds are responsible for
                  the formation of over 500 separate flavor compounds in sake- all of whom will
                  ruin the flavor of a whiskey.