column design

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hello all,
      this is likely just a dumb question. I have attempted to follow the
      condenser/column design postings over the past couple of weeks. As far as
      I can tell, the intent is to place the condenser on top of the column
      sothat alcohol vapours will travel upwards from the column into the
      condenser. There they then condense, and the now liquid alcohol runs
      downward - either back down into the column or sidetracked into a take-off
      spigot. Isn't that what the Stone-Nixon condenser/column does?
      Except that in their design the condenser sits up and along side the
      column?
      John V
    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:36:58 -0300
        John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@...> wrote:

        > As far as
        > I can tell, the intent is to place the condenser on top of the column
        > sothat alcohol vapours will travel upwards from the column into the
        > condenser. Isn't that what the Stone-Nixon condenser/column does?
        > Except that in their design the condenser sits up and along side the
        > column?

        Yep, pretty much. Some of these folks seem to prefer the idea of soldering
        a baffle into the top of the column, to obviate the need for the Tee & Ell
        at the top of the Nixon-Stone. BUT..

        With a properly constructed Nixon-Stone, it should be possible to run the
        unit anywhere from full-reflux to NEAR zero-reflux. The design with the
        baffle cannot ever be run in zero-reflux, as some of the distillate will
        always make it back down the column, even with the offtake valve
        full-open.

        I see no advantage in this, not even in terms of construction ease.

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2002
          > Isn't that what the Stone-Nixon condenser/column does?

          Yes - they're just variations on a theme - but trying for easier construction, sexier looking etc. Fun in the experimentation.

          Tony
        • bokakob
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
            I must be honest and conclude that even it looks simpler on paper,
            the design I published a few days ago is NOT easy to build in the
            kitchen environment.
            The problem is that with a regular torch it is very difficult to
            solder anything small. Especially when parts are close to each other.
            So, I start thinking "Why do I need a different design? Don't I want
            the final product no matter how it is achieved?" Cheers :-(

            --- In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
            wrote:

            > > Isn't that what the Stone-Nixon condenser/column does?
            >
            > Yes - they're just variations on a theme - but trying for easier
            construction, sexier looking etc. Fun in the experimentation.

            > Tony
          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
              I would recommend using MAP-gas, available in plumbing supply stores. It
              comes in the usual foot-high canisters, but has a hotter flame. Mind you,
              whether it will help you in doing small stuff, ....?
              John V