Gen.quary on boiler jacketed stills and steam ejection

  • goldenshine65802
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Howdy Hi all, I posted pretty much the same question awhile back , but got no real answere in return. Even tried to get some anseres from Biofuels@... but no luck there either, so I will try again. I,m building a boiler jacketed still, my boiler jacket is 17"x!7" made from 316 S.S. and is 3/16inch thick. Both top and bottom plates are 6 gauge 316 S.S. My distillation tank is made out of 14 gauge 316 S.S. And is 8"x 34" and will hold 5gals. of heavy grain mash or fermented fruit pulp. The tank will sit 4" above the bottom of the boiler tank. The first question is will my boiler jacket be big enough to heat 5 gals. of heavy mash? Second question I can or will use 2- 4500wt. emersion heater elements would these be better placed at the bottem or midway in the boiler jacket ? The jacket will be insulated with 2" of insulation and have a S.S. protective sheild around it. Third Question should I add a water circ. pump and a water preheater? Question 5 would a steam injection device be of any help in heating the mash or would this be a over kill. I have all the safety valves and regulators, temp and presure gauges. What I can't fabricate I can buy. Is there anyone that can answere my questions? Cheers George
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        goldenshine65802 wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] Gen.quary on boiler jacketed stills and steam
        ejection

[...]

        --------------------------------------
        Hi George,

        One of the beer brewing guys might be better at answering this (have you
        tried their lists?), but there may be someone on this list with direct
        experience of what you propose doing. I'm just shooting in the dark here.

        I'm left scratching my head over the dimensions you give, but assume that
        you will have the "distillation tank" sitting inside the "boiler tank" and
        plan to distil directly without first straining off solids. My return
        question to you is "why?" Does anyone know if this is a practical
        technique? My personal preference would be to strain the solids off, with
        washing to do a thorough job, then deal with the resulting liquid in a
        conventional boiler. Unlike beer brewing, it doesn't matter if you add
        extra water in the washing process.

        The power of your heater elements seems rather high too ... 9 kW. It willl
        certainly heat up fast, but will it be controllable once it is boiling,
        wherever you put the elements? With the turbulence from such massive
        heating, I doubt very much whether you would need a circulation pump.

        Steam injection is for experts. It is very efficient, and is the usual
        commercial method for heating, but it can be rather dangerous in an amateur
        setting. Despite all the safety valves etc you have, please bear in mind
        that steam is unforgiving and can result in nasty accidents.

        Sorry if this doesn't help much, and I may have missed the point entirely.
        Anyone out there with better knowledge?

        Mike Nixon