Re: thick corn mash

  • staffdevuk
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      wrote:
      > Hello All,
      > Does anyone have an answer to THICK corn mash? I mean - totally
      thick corn
      > mash? How do I get the wort out of it after fermentation?

      John,

      This may be totally irrelavent,probably is, but I've had a similar
      problem with flaked corn,when brewing ale.

      The wort will not run from the mash tun.

      Finally I used to bale it out by hand into a fine filter bag in a
      sanitised spin dryer.

      This did the trick.

      Tony.
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
        Sorry - Canada

        active inertia wrote:

        > Hi
        > Just wondering if you live is Aus ans if you do what is the address of this
        > place that sells clacked corn.
        > Thanks
        > Martin
        >
        > >From: John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@...>
        > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: thick corn mash
        > >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:38:01 -0300
        > >
        > >Hello Reese, ups,
        > >many thanks for the note on use of cracked corn vs flaked. I have not had
        > >chance to try it, but did phone around for its availability and price.
        > >Whew -
        > >25kg cracked corn is $8.25, vs. 1kg of flaked (from the brewstore) is $4.
        > >Some
        > >difference.
        > >John V

      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
          Hello Tony
          Great idea. What sort of spin dryer do you have? A kitchen variety for
          drying lettuce?
          John V