Re: [new_distillers] Re: thick corn mash

  • active inertia
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi
      Just wondering if you live is Aus ans if you do what is the address of this
      place that sells clacked corn.
      Thanks
      Martin

      >From: John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: thick corn mash
      >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:38:01 -0300
      >
      >Hello Reese, ups,
      >many thanks for the note on use of cracked corn vs flaked. I have not had
      >chance to try it, but did phone around for its availability and price.
      >Whew -
      >25kg cracked corn is $8.25, vs. 1kg of flaked (from the brewstore) is $4.
      >Some
      >difference.
      >John V

    • staffdevuk
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
        wrote:
        > Hello All,
        > Does anyone have an answer to THICK corn mash? I mean - totally
        thick corn
        > mash? How do I get the wort out of it after fermentation?

        John,

        This may be totally irrelavent,probably is, but I've had a similar
        problem with flaked corn,when brewing ale.

        The wort will not run from the mash tun.

        Finally I used to bale it out by hand into a fine filter bag in a
        sanitised spin dryer.

        This did the trick.

        Tony.
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
          Sorry - Canada

          active inertia wrote:

          > Hi
          > Just wondering if you live is Aus ans if you do what is the address of this
          > place that sells clacked corn.
          > Thanks
          > Martin
          >
          > >From: John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@...>
          > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: thick corn mash
          > >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:38:01 -0300
          > >
          > >Hello Reese, ups,
          > >many thanks for the note on use of cracked corn vs flaked. I have not had
          > >chance to try it, but did phone around for its availability and price.
          > >Whew -
          > >25kg cracked corn is $8.25, vs. 1kg of flaked (from the brewstore) is $4.
          > >Some
          > >difference.
          > >John V

        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
            Hello Tony
            Great idea. What sort of spin dryer do you have? A kitchen variety for
            drying lettuce?
            John V