1st run

  • bugtussles@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2001
      I finished my first run... stillmaker with milk can. Like in the PDF
      file. Made about 2.25 liters of 91%. I made a 20 liter wash, with
      still spirits turbo. I filtered through the two step carbon and it
      smelled real real clean. Then I mixed with queensland gold rum
      essence... I tried it right away before ageing. I wasn't impressed
      by the flavor, but I didn't puke. Seemed like the flavoring was
      stronger than it needed to be. Lots of fun!

      Question...

      I like Bacardi Gold... does anyone know a good way to flavor close to
      that?

      I have another batch brewing. And some more flavors on order.
      Here I go! Good luck to me.

      I'm also making beer, wine and root beer. Maybe I need to make Alka
      Seltzer. HA

      Bugs
    • Bposs112@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
        TO EACH HIS OWN BUG    JUST ENJOY
      • tiretz
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
          Hi All,

          First of all, thanks to all those who take the time to answer the
          questions.

          I have finally built my 2" offset head still. It has about 800mm of
          copper mesh packing. The first run was just water, and at full speed
          I was getting a temp of 100.6 at the top of the reflux column. This
          will possibly explain why my temps were a bit out during my first
          actual run.

          The first proper run was with about 16 litres of sugar wash of
          unknown strength. It took about an hour to get up to temperature.
          At first the temp was varying between 73C and 78C with the cooling
          water running. I wasn't sure what to do next so I increased the heat
          and it finally stabilised (full reflux) at 79.5C. I was pretty happy
          at this point. I slowly ( 1 to 1.5 drops per sec) took off 160ml as
          heads to be safe . I expected the temp to stay a bit lower until I
          took off the heads. As it sort of went straight to 79.5 and stayed
          there, I was concerned that I wasn't properly separating the
          methanol and other nasties.

          At about 80C i started collecting the first jar. After about 2 hours
          it crept up to 81.4. I had collected about 1.3 litres (over
          threejars) when the temp climbed to 88C over 9 minutes. I changed to
          the next collection jar about half way through this period. It kept
          rising and I stopped the run it at 95C. Throughout, i kept the
          reflux ratio fairly high. The take off was kept at less that 3 drops
          per sec and the reflux flow was a constant stream. The whole thing
          once heated took about 3.5 hours.

          I have just tasted some that has been maturing with juniper berries,
          coriander and cardoman seeds for about 5 minutes ;-). It came from
          the 3rd jar. It tastes just like what I would buy from the shop so I
          guess it all worked out well. There weren't bad after tastes.

          The second jar doesn't smell as 'sweet' as the third jar (only a
          small difference). I haven't tried it yet. I am worried that I
          didn't separate the heads out properly. Should there be a small temp
          rise after the heads are taken off or have I done it ok.

          The dramatic rise at the end would have been easy to spot if I was
          watching. Does it matter if I change jars at the end of the temp
          rise or should it be at the start?

          regards

          Tiretz