Essence

  • staffdevuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      I wonder if I can intrude on your good offices again,

      About store bought essences,

      are they the equivalent of going into a good restuarant and ordering
      a spam sandwich or a pot noodle?

      or are they worth having.

      are they good for some liquors and not for others?

      Whose essences seem to be best?

      What's best for a very impatient, thirsty boy who can't wait to have
      a bar full of different types of booze.

      Cheers,

      Tony.
    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Essential oils are from natural sources and are used to make cheaper
        gins and flavored vodkas. Natural extracts found in stores are
        diluted essential oils and I have used aniseed and orange succesfully.
        Imitation essences are approximations - quality/complexity depends on
        what you want to pay. My view is that if you are making the effort to
        make your own alcohol, making your own flavors is a related part.
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@y..., "staffdevuk" <staffdevuk@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >

        > I wonder if I can intrude on your good offices again,
        >
        > About store bought essences,
        >
        > are they the equivalent of going into a good restuarant and
        ordering
        > a spam sandwich or a pot noodle?
        >
        > or are they worth having.
        >
        > are they good for some liquors and not for others?
        >
        > Whose essences seem to be best?
        >
        > What's best for a very impatient, thirsty boy who can't wait to
        have
        > a bar full of different types of booze.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tony.
      • Bennett, Mark E [TES]
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
          Tony

          Are they worth using ?
          If you don't have a lot of time or patience they are pretty dam good. I have tried quite a few and like everything it comes down to price. The best that I have used is the Prestige brand followed by the still sprits topshelf. With the essences a lot depends on what you are looking for and if you are consuming the products with mixers or straight and how much you enjoy the aroma of a good drink. Looking back to when we started we were only ever interested in flavour and quantity and we had no real understanding that the aroma was far more difficult to get right than the taste. What I would suggest is to spend a few dollars and try some of the essences. If you don't like them you can either re distil and clean your alcohol or just run it through carbon to clean it up. Possibly the most important thing to realise is that all essences are the producers interpretation of what the drink should taste like and this may be somewhat different to your tastes.

          Mark