RE: [new_distillers] Holding a bead !

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2000
      Had to try this myself ... shook up some of my distillate (diluted to 50%
      for polishing) to see what happens. All the bubbles disappeared as soon as
      the shaking stopped. The one or two that remained were half-up and
      half-down. But its all very drinkable .... I think this is one of those
      shady bits of fokelore that may not be too helpfull. Its a lot more
      reassuring just to use a hydrometer to measure the %.

      Tony

      from the dbd: Distilled Beverage Digest V1 #97 .....
      >Next he selects a half-gallon jar of heart-stopping white lightning, as
      >clear as vodka. Shaking it, he points to the "bead," or head. Bubbles that
      form a
      >thick, beery bead indicate toxic contamination from sleazy stills that
      >use old car radiators to condense the vapors from cooking and
      fermentation.
      > But this bead is wafer-thin. "Look," he says. "No lead."

      Hey! Dean. Holding a bead is when you shake your moonshine and it
      bubbles up on top and the bubbles stay floating around the edge on top
      half above and half below the surface of the moonshine. If it doesn't
      hold a bead some say it's not very high proof and ain't worth drinking.
      do you know anything about it?