Re: [new_distillers] New-bie. Just found this group.

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2002
      Hello newbie,
      I just want to add to my earlier e-mail that you should not expect to
      produce palatable drink the first few times that you power up your new
      still. You will have to get used to temperature variations, cooling rates,
      etc., and that just takes a little time.
      I suggest that when you are ready to roll, begin with a couple liters of
      water - that will show you how long you need to heat up to around 79oC,
      which will become your distilling temp. But with the water in your kettle,
      just let it go on its own - fiddle with the cooling rates, etc.
      The second run - I repeated the couple quarts of water but added a bottle
      of the cheapest wine I could buy at the store, and ran that. Now you will
      be in alcohol distilling territory, and you can observe the way the boiling
      rate really runs on its own, and what it does at around 78 or 79oC.
      Third run - run 4 quarts, and this time as much old or whatever wine of any
      kind. I had some fermented apple juice so I added that in. This is just
      to get more experience.
      Fourth run - a sugar wash.
      Rock and Roll!!
      John V