1st run

  • Mike Seaney
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
      Ladies and Gents,
      First run is now completed. the run was simple but long, what I got was
      good but not as much as I thought I would get and I think I have some
      thieving charcoal !!
      So, I wondered if I could pose some questions,

      1. I got a real steady stream up to 70ish, then a break and then hey
      presto it cam e on line and the temp was steady, but it took me 12 hours
      to get 2 &1/2 litres is that right ?
      2.I expected more from a 25 litres wash of 18%
      3. I diluted down to 6 litres @42% and ran it through the charcoal
      (saving 1 litre of that as water only to flush through later. I was well
      short of that and another 1/2 ltr later ended with barely 5 litres at
      39% - it is usual to lose so much during filtration and how can I avoid
      that or at least leave the charcoal moist with water and not my booze.

      I have another batch under way and I will tweak it around but if you can
      add anything, I would appreciate it

      Mike
    • bugtussles@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2001
        I finished my first run... stillmaker with milk can. Like in the PDF
        file. Made about 2.25 liters of 91%. I made a 20 liter wash, with
        still spirits turbo. I filtered through the two step carbon and it
        smelled real real clean. Then I mixed with queensland gold rum
        essence... I tried it right away before ageing. I wasn't impressed
        by the flavor, but I didn't puke. Seemed like the flavoring was
        stronger than it needed to be. Lots of fun!

        Question...

        I like Bacardi Gold... does anyone know a good way to flavor close to
        that?

        I have another batch brewing. And some more flavors on order.
        Here I go! Good luck to me.

        I'm also making beer, wine and root beer. Maybe I need to make Alka
        Seltzer. HA

        Bugs
      • Bposs112@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
          TO EACH HIS OWN BUG    JUST ENJOY
        • tiretz
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
            Hi All,

            First of all, thanks to all those who take the time to answer the
            questions.

            I have finally built my 2" offset head still. It has about 800mm of
            copper mesh packing. The first run was just water, and at full speed
            I was getting a temp of 100.6 at the top of the reflux column. This
            will possibly explain why my temps were a bit out during my first
            actual run.

            The first proper run was with about 16 litres of sugar wash of
            unknown strength. It took about an hour to get up to temperature.
            At first the temp was varying between 73C and 78C with the cooling
            water running. I wasn't sure what to do next so I increased the heat
            and it finally stabilised (full reflux) at 79.5C. I was pretty happy
            at this point. I slowly ( 1 to 1.5 drops per sec) took off 160ml as
            heads to be safe . I expected the temp to stay a bit lower until I
            took off the heads. As it sort of went straight to 79.5 and stayed
            there, I was concerned that I wasn't properly separating the
            methanol and other nasties.

            At about 80C i started collecting the first jar. After about 2 hours
            it crept up to 81.4. I had collected about 1.3 litres (over
            threejars) when the temp climbed to 88C over 9 minutes. I changed to
            the next collection jar about half way through this period. It kept
            rising and I stopped the run it at 95C. Throughout, i kept the
            reflux ratio fairly high. The take off was kept at less that 3 drops
            per sec and the reflux flow was a constant stream. The whole thing
            once heated took about 3.5 hours.

            I have just tasted some that has been maturing with juniper berries,
            coriander and cardoman seeds for about 5 minutes ;-). It came from
            the 3rd jar. It tastes just like what I would buy from the shop so I
            guess it all worked out well. There weren't bad after tastes.

            The second jar doesn't smell as 'sweet' as the third jar (only a
            small difference). I haven't tried it yet. I am worried that I
            didn't separate the heads out properly. Should there be a small temp
            rise after the heads are taken off or have I done it ok.

            The dramatic rise at the end would have been easy to spot if I was
            watching. Does it matter if I change jars at the end of the temp
            rise or should it be at the start?

            regards

            Tiretz