1st time at distilling(2)

  • secondhandjack@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      To Leeham:
      Thanks for the info regarding the cooling of the reflux tower.
      I dont have any cooling pipes in the tower, so from the info I have
      read in the last days it seems that this is very important.
      So as a result of this I have placed 3x10mm pipes running through the
      top of the tower40mm apart.
      I havent tried it yet but hope to do so this evening.(I will post the
      results after the run)

      I have another question that someone mite be able to help with.

      Regarding the nutrients that is required for the brew?
      Has anyone used multi vitamins(I have plenty of Usana esential
      vitamins on hand)to provide what the yeast needs to work?

      It seems to me that there is no reason(except cost of them) that you
      could not use them to provide the right stuff for the yeast to grow
      and do its work!
      So if anyone has any input on this one I would be pleased to find out.

      Regards Jack

      PS does anyone know to attach a photo or file to this post??
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        Jack,

        >Regarding the nutrients that is required for the brew?

        Its not normally the vitamins that limit the growth of the yeast, its the
        amount of nitrogen (freely available nitrogen, FAN) which is in short
        supply. Ammonium ion is the prefered source, and is generally used as the
        sulfate and phosphate salts. You require about 100 mg/L of FAN.

        The two other most important nutrients are phosphorus and sulfur.

        A typical way of getting these is through using a suitable yeast extract,
        which have about 28 to 45 mg of free amino acid nitrogen per gram.

        For some recipes to make your own nutrients, see :
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/wash-sugar.htm#nutrient

        Also remember to look after the acidity of the wash too (the pH)

        >PS does anyone know to attach a photo or file to this post??

        using Outlook, I do Insert-File.
        You can also upload them to the "new distillers" site at YahooGroups, if
        its too big to nicely send to everyone.

        Tony