How to measure alcohol of a cocktail

  • gtyellowjckt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2014

      Newbie question here.  I'm mixing a juice with ethanol to make a large batch of cocktails and want to know the proof of the mixture.  I've been told that the sugar in the juice can mess up a hydrometer reading.  I can calculate it with math (ie. 1 cup of 150 proof ethanol plus one cup of juice equals a 75 proof cocktail), but I've been told that method will yield an inaccurate result as well.  Can anyone clear this up for me?  If I need to redistill the mixture, is there a way I can do this with a small sample and not run it through a still?

    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2014
        If you dilute 150 poof of alcohol with and equal mount of anything
        else non-alcoholic the proof is cut by 1/2.
        Not rocket science. Trust me; you are diluting it by 1/2

        At 03:40 PM 7/4/2014, you wrote:

        >Newbie question here. I'm mixing a juice with ethanol to make a
        >large batch of cocktails and want to know the proof of the mixture.

        Derek

        ---
      • RLB
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2014
          If you work with (abv %) it might be less confusing because you are using a base of 100 rather then 200.  75% ethanol diluted by half is 37.5 % abv.  If you know the % going in then it's easy to tell your % after diluting.  After a few drinks you will not care about proof or %.

          Robert