Hobby Distiller's Association

  • Alli Bugger
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2014
      Hello All,
      Maybe it's me but it seems that this group has gone elsewhere. Very few posts any more. Yahoo sure jacked up this forum site.

      I posted this earlier but wanted to do so again for those who missed it the first time. The initiative to legalize hobby distilling last summer went no where for a lot of good reasons and we simply did not get the attention in DC we had hoped for, so we taking what we learned and coming back stronger than ever.

      The lobbying firm of Lobbyit.com has been hired. We have started the organization we call HDA or Hobby Distiller's Association. It is being run as a nonprofit and will at some point be converted to one. The nonprofit structure required a slow start so we went this way to get things rolling quickly.

      Our goals are simple. Legalize hobby distilling at the federal level in the US first and then go after the states. We also hope to help other countries like Canada, Australia and others get their laws changed, but first things first.

      Go to www.hobbydistillersassociation.org and sign up. It only cost $30.00us. Your names will only be given to Lobbyit.com so they can show the congressional representatives in DC how widespread our support has grown and will not be available to the public. Check out our website. Remember it is only a few weeks old so we have work to do. Join up. Volunteer. Send the information to your friends and relatives and ask that they sign up. Help get the word out so we can all stop hiding what we enjoy so much. I have stopped hiding under the alias of Allibugger and use my real name although this forum is set up under Alli. If you have questions or comments, contact me here or at tomcowdrey@.... As we used to say in high school (a long time ago), "Be here or be square". Thanks for reading
      Tom
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2014
        Tom:

        I have a line on the person in NYS who helped to draft the current farm brewery laws, and I hope soon to make contact him.  With luck, he would be interested in helping to draft NYS Hobby Distilling Laws.  It is my feeling that we need to pressure the federal government from both state and federal if we truly want to change current distilling laws.  If we can get the NYS Agriculture Lobby on our side, there is a good chance we can change NYS laws to allow hobby distilling because it's in their best interest to promote hobby distilling for the increased demand for NYS grown grains.

        You might want to have a chat with the Agriculture Lobby in Washington DC because this is in their best interest too.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2014
          Robert,
          I know you are big on taking this on at the state level and there is no question that it will have to be done sooner or later. NY is a little different from other states with their Farm Brewery license. From the state license research I did in January, NY is the only state to have such a license category. We are a new and so far small organization and can only take on one huge project at a time. Having said that, please keep us informed with your progress in your state. Thanks for the comments.
          Tom

          Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Hobby Distiller's Association
          To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>

          From: Alli Bugger
          <allibugger@...>
          To:
          new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          [new_distillers] Hobby Distiller's Association

[...]

        • Rick Wrightson

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2014

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 3:58 PM

              Rick,
              You are correct. I forgot about Mass. Below are the notes I took in January when I did the state by state research. As you can see the law is designed for a farmer with a minimum of 5 acres who is already farming his land and must continue to do so. Good for a few, but not so good if you don't have 5 acres, tractors, cultivators and all the other gear one needs to farm the land.

              NOTES ON MASS. LICENSE
              A new law to encourage farming allows for farm distillery license
              Farm distillery lics. range fron $22 to $110 /year depending on production
              A farm is defined as 5 acres +. Must cultivate/till the soil etc.

              wrote:
              Robert,
              I know you are big on taking
              this on at the state level and there is no question that it
              will have to be done sooner or later. NY is a little
              different from other states with their Farm Brewery license.
              From the state license research I did in January, NY is the
              only state to have such a license category. We are a new and
              so far small organization and can only take on one huge
              project at a time. Having said that, please keep us informed
              with your progress in your state. Thanks for the
              comments.
              Tom

              On Tue, 3/25/14, RLB <last2blast@...>
              wrote: