Legalization Rejuvenated

  • Alli Bugger
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2014

      Hello All,
      This is a heads up to let you know what is coming in the world of the Legalization of Hobby Distilling.  Our previous efforts pretty much fell on deaf ears for a lot of reasons so we regrouped to figure out where to go next.  I was able to locate a lobbyist group in DC and sent them a lot of information I had accumulated over the past 8 or 9 months.  Rick Morris, the owner of Brewhaus, Inc. America; Biscuit, a member of the Bewhaus Forum and I spent an hour last week on a conference call with this group. One of their staff was once head of legislative affairs in both the Drug Czar's and Department of Justice's offices in DC and is very familiar with our cause.

      We initially decided to form a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) charitable association, but after spending about 3 days familiarizing ourselves with the details and organization of a nonprofit, it was decided that while it fits our intended purpose, there are some initial drawbacks, like waiting for membership donations to come in to allow us to proceed.  The lobbyists we spoke with think this is a sensible project with no reasonable excuse for it to be denied.  The timeline to get it done is about 1 year.  The cost is $3,000/month.   Because of the drawbacks discovered in forming an official nonprofit, Rick has decided to fund the initial cost himself.  We are in the process of setting up a website, http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/.  We will be asking everyone who is interested in getting our hobby legalized to join.  For members the annual dues will be in the $30.00 range, suppliers will pay more than that and manufacturers will pay even more.  The association will be based on the Brewhaus Forum and will be treated as a nonprofit with no earnings going to Brewhaus.   Look for Hillbilly Stills to also be active in this effort.

      We hope to have the website up and running in about a week.  I will post a notice with more information as soon as it is available. Happy distilling.

      Tom Cowdrey  *:) happy

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2014
        Do what I am doing.  State level!  What are the Feds doing to stop legal pot?  NOTHING!  How can they stop a state from legalizing hobby distilling of 100 or 200 gals of wash?  States might have a small fee and some regulations, but legal hobby distilling has to start someplace.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2014
          Our plan is to work on the states after we get it legalized on the federal level.  Some states have huge fees, others very little  and some are regional in the state.  Thanks for the reply .
          Tom