mile hi still I'm considering

  • worm785
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
           I am considering purchasing this still to "upgrade" from my current stock pot still.

            http://www.milehidistilling.com/13-gal-hybrid-milk-can-4-in1/

           Any yeah's or nays and why?  Also, any reccomendations if you say no.  It is solid stainless without the copper column.  Never had a 100% SS so is this a good idea or no?  I mam simply a hobbyist but the equipment I have is only giving me about 140% on a good day and is small to run a decent size mash.

           Due to my location and current (and forseeable future) my future still has to be electric - no propane.

           Any suggestions would be awesome.  Thanks.
    • John Doe
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014

        I only have experience with hillbilly stills, but 140 isn't bad for a pot still. I bought a really nice 13 gallon from hillbillys and consistently get 140-150 on a 1.08 wash.

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
          You need copper someplace in a still setup to help remove sulfur.  A still with a copper dome, plumbing, thumper, and or worm can be use with stainless steel.  Stainless steel can be great, but it does nothing to rid your distillate of sulfur.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
            If you’re using it as a reflux still use real copper scrubbers in the packing for the column.
          • Alli Bugger

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2014
                Would there be any problem with carbon particles falling into the pot?

                Robert

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2014
                    Not at all as long as you clean out the funnel and the tubing and sanitize after each use.
                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2014
                      Typically one puts a paper, coffee filter, in place so the carbon doesn't fall into the pot. Sometimes even using up to 5 at a time for sturdiness

                      Sent from my iPhone