Salt in mash

  • gerryruiz1701
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2014

      I just got a large supply of brown sugar. the only problem is it's mixed with a little salt. can yeast grow in a slightly brine environment?

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2014
        Yes, up to a point, but salt will cause your ferment to take longer.  I used to add a little salt to my wash, and they were taking over a month to ferment.  That was a 1/2 tbs salt per gal., but you do you know how much salt is in your brown sugar?  Not knowing is a problem.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2014
          I always add salt, sea salt, to my mash just before distilling it, not in the mash itself.  Gives a much better smother taste to the finished product....my.02$

          jim
        • reinman123
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2014
            I found this article on salt in fermentation.
             http://www.ehow.com/info_8626031_would-salt-affect-yeast.html
            It deals with bread making but it gives good information as to the interaction of yeast and salt.
            In a nutshell, a little salt (1% - 2%) will slow the reaction of yeast.
          • greta123us
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2014

              How much salt do you use?

            • Bob

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2014

                  That is a great point Bob. I never thought about that.

                • gerryruiz1701
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2014

                    Thank you all for your great advice.it was very helpful. I think I can work with this!

                  • jsducote
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2014

                      Not sure if you got a satisfactory answer, so I'd suggest that you run a simple little test. Set up two identical bowls of warm water, 1/2 cup. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the brown sugar/salt to one bowl and stir until dissolved. Add an identical amount of cheap baker's yeast to each, about 1/8 teaspoon or so, and watch. Within a few minutes you should be able to tell whether the yeast likes the sugar enough to ignore the salt,

                      If you want to get really scientific about it, use the UJSSM recipe and scale it down to the amount of sugar and distillers yeast per half cup of water. I don't think that's necessary though.

                      -j