Oatmeal Mash

  • gerryruiz1701
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2014

      I just got my hands on 5 lbs of old fashion whole grain oatmeal. Can I use this to make a good mash? any advice?

    • o1bigtenor
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2014
        Makes great breakfasts!!! I cook it for about 2 1-2 to 3 hours (once a week for the week's worth of breakfasts using 1 c of oat groats to 2 c of water at a low heat (simmer)).  Dee

        On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM, <dfboss1@...> wrote:

        I just got my hands on 5 lbs of old fashion whole grain oatmeal. Can I use this to make a good mash? any advice?

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2014
          The problem with oatmeal is that it has already been cooked, so the only real benefit oatmeal will provide in a mash is a small amount of flavor.  Have your oatmeal for breakfast.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2014

            I guess I know what I'm having for breakfast. Thanks for the advice.

          • chris jude
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2014
              yes, you can use oats, don't know what RLB means that they've been cooked.  Oat was my favorite whiskey that Koval makes:
              http://www.koval-distillery.com/newsite/whiskey