Re: [new_distillers] yeast

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16, 2002
      Hello all,
      My PC was in for repairs for 48hrs; and as I turned it on I found 164
      messages!!

      Anyway, does anyone have a recipe for procreating my own yeasts?
      Alternatively, where can I order up EC1118 and others in bulk?
      John V

      ups474@... wrote:

      > They likely are making it out of Lavlin's EC-1118 or K1V-1116- or the Red
      > Star brand equivilant- you can buy them in bulk and repackage them- likely
      > make a tidy profit on it, too.

    • Nicholas Hamilton
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 16, 2002
        For bulk wine yeast the best I have seen is www.piwine.com (Premier Cuv�e
        500g Packets $8.45, others for similar prices)

        >From: John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] yeast
        >Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:24:59 -0300
        >
        >Hello all,
        >My PC was in for repairs for 48hrs; and as I turned it on I found 164
        >messages!!
        >
        >Anyway, does anyone have a recipe for procreating my own yeasts?
        >Alternatively, where can I order up EC1118 and others in bulk?
        >John V
        >
        >ups474@... wrote:
        >
        > > They likely are making it out of Lavlin's EC-1118 or K1V-1116- or the
        >Red
        > > Star brand equivilant- you can buy them in bulk and repackage them-
        >likely
        > > make a tidy profit on it, too.

        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Campbell Jones
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 16, 2002

           Hello All

          I have been having one XXXX of a time trying to get any sort of EC-1118 in the UK, either in sachet form or othwise but have cracked it now. Today I also had an email from the UK distibutors mentioning that the Lallemand HQ is in Toulouse, France. See :- http://www.lallemandwine.com/contacts/distributors.php where you will find all the US suppliers plus much more informative info.. If you have need to write to him ( THE ) Clayton Cone is very helpful too. Good luck.

           pactumuk

          ups474@... wrote:

          > They likely are making it out of Lavlin's EC-1118 or K1V-1116- or the Red
          > Star brand equivilant- you can buy them in bulk and repackage them- likely
          > make a tidy profit on it, too.

          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail_storage.html

        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 16, 2002
            Thanks to C Jones re Lallemand inf. It is in my files.
            Now, does anyone have a simple method for growing and storing (blocks,
            frozen, liquid?) our yeasts?
            John V

          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 16, 2002
              I once ordered some 400 or 500 gram packets (can't remember what the exact
              size was) from a place called Presque Isle wine cellars (www.piwine.com)-
              the Premiere cuvee was pretty cheap.
              If you want to culture your yeast- the best thing to grow it in is what you
              are planning on fermenting- either at the same or a weaker sugar
              concentration, same Ph, same nutrient levels- just with more air stirred into
              the mix. I get good results using a magnetic stir plate (with a one-hole
              stopper drawing air through a bottle with the air passed through the vodka at
              the bottom) or by bubbling air (from those little aeration pumps sold for
              aquariums) through a small bottle of vodka (to sterilize the air), and then
              into the yeast solution- this tends to cause some foaming- so an extra large
              container is nice. That's all there is to it.
            • lmemarine
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 7, 2005
                Good day gentlemen: I'm new to this and just getting things together
                that I will need to do a sugar wash. I would like to know what any of
                you think of the turbo 24 or turbo 48 yeast. In some of the recipes
                i've seen they say to add yeast and yeast nutrients. From what I
                understand these are supposed to already have nutrients in them.
                Would I need to add anything else to them? Thanks for any help.

                Lmemarine
              • suitcase1499@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 7, 2005
                  In a message dated 2/7/2005 11:25:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  lmemarine@... writes:

                  Would I need to add anything else to them? Thanks for any help.

                  Lmemarine

                  The turbo 24 & 48 have everything in them all you need is sugar and water
                  follow the directions on the pack and you'll get a good final product, provide
                  you do a good job distilling it.

                  Suitcase

                • Levi Langershank
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 8, 2005
                    The package of Turbo Yeast contains everything needed....IMPO,the 24 and 48
                    hour yeasts produce an inferior final product..again thats just my
                    opinion...I prefer the 'slower' working turbos,such as Prestige Black Label
                    or Batch....good luck...:>)

                    Levi

                    (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                  • jkirby007@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 8, 2005
                      Has any one used super start by alcotec to do a sugar mash i have ag to
                      add just wondering what abv to expect if i use it
                      jesse jkirby007@...

                    • David W Lunsford
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8, 2005
                        Lmemarine, I have had real good luck with Alcotech 48, following the
                        instructions on the package, although I let it work for 2 weeks....good
                        luck....maxtonnage

                        At 01:26 AM 2/8/05 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Good day gentlemen: I'm new to this and just getting things together
                        >that I will need to do a sugar wash. I would like to know what any of
                        >you think of the turbo 24 or turbo 48 yeast. In some of the recipes
                        >i've seen they say to add yeast and yeast nutrients. From what I
                        >understand these are supposed to already have nutrients in them.
                        >Would I need to add anything else to them? Thanks for any help.
                        >
                        > Lmemarine

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • enibnikrib
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 17 3:32 PM
                          hello fellow distillers
                          I was wondering if it possable to reuse yeast.

                          thanks, Luke
                        • Dean Thomas
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 17 5:41 PM
                            Yes you can,

                            Have a look at
                            http://homedistiller.org
                            go to the pop down menu "preparation" then "fermentation" then "reusing
                            yeast"enibnikrib wrote:

                            >hello fellow distillers
                            >I was wondering if it possable to reuse yeast.
                            >
                            >thanks, Luke

                          • donald holcombe
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 17 6:25 PM
                              I have used yeast from beer bottles and the bottom of mash bckets. Care should be taken to avoid contamination if the yeast is to be stored long

                              enibnikrib <manson@...> wrote:hello fellow distillers
                              I was wondering if it possable to reuse yeast.

                              thanks, Luke

                            • Bob
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 15, 2013
                                Someone told me that the yeast that is on the cedar tree or juniper bush berries makes a good brew. Has anyone tried this natural and renewable source?
                                bob c
                              • wzuccarello
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 16, 2013
                                  I read somewhere that jailhouse yeast had been made by adding sugar to a glass of orange juice and letting it sit open for a week or two then using the resulting mold to start your ferment.
                                • Tom Brohamer
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 16, 2013

                                    Mold does not make alcohol, yeast does.  Mold can grow in alcohol, but that’s a different thing entirely.  They may sit the OJ out for it to gather wild yeast, but it would not be mold they’d be using to ferment.

                                    I read somewhere that jailhouse yeast had been made by adding sugar to a glass of orange juice and letting it sit open for a week or two then using the resulting mold to start your ferment.

                                  • jeffrey.burrows
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 17, 2013

                                      Hi wzuccarello,

                                      What that jailhouse were harvesting, was wild yeast, the spoor of yeast is everywhere in the very air we breath.  If they had left it on a window near the cookhouse kitchen, or bakery it would have been inoculated within 24 hours from the yeast they used in baking

                                      Geoff
                                    • Bob Crowder
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 26, 2014

                                        I have not tried to do it, but, I understand some of the better brewing yeast can be started from the berries on a juniper bush.  In Texas we also have a lot of wild grapes growing. In season you see a lot of drunk Grackle birds.

                                        Take a look in a microscope to see the patterns the different yeast make. Then you can recognize the pattern of the one you like.

                                        Take some ripe grapes on the vine and throw them in sugar. Throw some juniper berries in some sugar. See what the different wild yeast do and look like. Sounds fun and productive if you find a renewable source in your local area.

                                        I asked an owner of a sour cream company where he got his bacilli from and he told me. He would take sterile SS needles and look for a certain pattern of fungus on cow pies of dairy farmers in Denmark. He was German but to get the flavor note he was looking for he would go to Denmark. From that would start the yeast colony in a petre dish with agar agar medium. Again he would refine by taking only the pattern he was looking for out of the dish and starting another dish to get the pure colony.

                                        Bob c