Advice re heat plate with alembic pot still

  • Kathy Caton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2014
      Hi all,
      I've come in to ownership of a 25litre (or thereabouts) copper alembic pot still which I'm keen to get going with, with the idea of making gin to kick off with, but am being prevented from starting by being nervous because the diameter of the heating plate I'm planning to use is quite a bit smaller than the base of the still.

      The still base feels like quite thin copper, and I'm worried that if I run the still on the heating plate when it's (nearly) full of liquid and therefore heavy, that the heat vs the weight might bow/bend or warp the base of the  still.

      Am I worrying unnecessarily?  Has anyone got any advice about how to over come it?

      Thanks so much in advance for your help and advice,

      Kathy
    • Douglas French
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2014
        You need a frame with grill to hold and suport the  the whole still base that will " sit" on the heater . .

        Douglas French
        Caballeros, Inc./ Scorpion Mezcal sa de cv
        Oaxaca, Mexico
        Tel: 52-951-516-0654
        Destileria: 951-511-5701
        Cel: 951 508 1030