Lalvin EC-1118 yeast for shine

  • worm785
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2014
      Is Lalvin EC-1118 yeast good to use for makin' some 160+ shine?  I am looking for something besides turbo yeast to use.  I typically use a turbo yeast or Dady yeast and if conditions are optimal, I get 140-160 out of it.  Help, advice, recipes, etc....anything is apprecitated.  I am looking to make a nice tasting, high alcohol (that can be watered down to 50%abv).
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2014
        Read www.homedistiller.org.  You seem to be a bit confused.  All yeast will produce 195 proof spirits with the right still.  EC-1118 is a good alcohol tolerant yeast and there are others.  Read some more on the subject.

        Robert

        Is Lalvin EC-1118 yeast good to use for makin' some 160+ shine?  I am looking for something besides turbo yeast to use.  I typically use a turbo yeast or Dady yeast and if conditions are optimal, I get 140-160 out of it.  Help, advice, recipes, etc....anything is apprecitated.  I am looking to make a nice tasting, high alcohol (that can be watered down to 50%abv).

      • Jim Graves
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2014
          I have used 1118 for years with very good results.  I have however, this year, thought I would try something different, I going to use bakers yeast.  I have run three runs so far and the results are great.  Not good, GREAT!  The mash smells and tastes great and the shine is really good.  The best part, the yeast is 2.99 a pack, almost 1/2 pound, and it works twice as fast as 1118, just my .02$.....Jim

          On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:20 PM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          Read www.homedistiller.org.  You seem to be a bit confused.  All yeast will produce 195 proof spirits with the right still.  EC-1118 is a good alcohol tolerant yeast and there are others.  Read some more on the subject.

          Robert

          Is Lalvin EC-1118 yeast good to use for makin' some 160+ shine?  I am looking for something besides turbo yeast to use.  I typically use a turbo yeast or Dady yeast and if conditions are optimal, I get 140-160 out of it.  Help, advice, recipes, etc....anything is apprecitated.  I am looking to make a nice tasting, high alcohol (that can be watered down to 50%abv).

        • chris jude