UJSSM wash appearance?

  • johnsmith24668
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2013
      tldr; milky white, pleasant slightly vinegar taste. Infected?I have my first UJSSM wash running, although I suspect I have vinegar. Followed directions with the exception of using a brewers yeast. Took about 1.5 weeks to get going - my fermenting area is cold, maybe 60F, so I put blankets around the bucket and put it in a box. Not sure I had an airtight seal on the bucket, as my air lock never bubbled even when the wash was fermenting strong. It's now 4-5 days since the strong bubbling stopped, but there was still the occasional big bubble coming up. I didn't get a starting SG but ending was 1.01-.02. The wash looks like diluted skim milk. Pleasant but somewhat vinegary taste and scent. I'm almost sure I got an infection but wanted to run it by those with more experience.Also - has anyone ever tried a yeast bomb to get things going, like for Pugirum?Thanks in advance for the advice!
    • mgofpickens
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2013
        Rack it off and see if it clears. It should be almost clear with a slight yellow tint. As far as the taste I can't say, as I don't taste it, just get sg. The hydrometer might be reading a little high because it's not clear.
      • Chris Davis
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2013
          What do you mean yeast bomb?

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2013
            Yeah, definitely not clear even racking.

            Ran it for the heck of it, didn't think I was going to get much. Then it started coming off around 60%, nice corn flavor. Ran it down to 30, when it picked up vinegar flavor -- pleasant, like cider or aged white wine vinegar, but vinegar nonetheless.

            I'm going to sanitize and start over and just chalk this one up as "another f'ing opportunity for growth."
          • johnsmith24668
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2013
              From http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5994

              2 vitamin B, crushed with mortor and pestal
              5 teaspoons of 20-0-0, agrcultural fertalizer
              1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt
              1/4 cup bakers yeast
              1 gallon water
              Boil all for 15 minutes and strain.

              Use 1 gallon for 10 gallon initial wash.