yield

  • ekalb142000
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 14, 2002
      Can anyone top this:.

      One pack of turbo yeast £2.05
      8kilos suger £5.16
      water 25lts
      Electricity & water cooling
      aprox £0.50
      Output = .35lts
      I think doing it in the potting shed was (tora garam)hot
      in english.
      Let me know how you get on grimblewiz.
    • Zeke Jones
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 14, 2002
        Only .35l/350ml?

        >From: "ekalb142000" <robin@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] yield
        >Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:30:16 -0000
        >

        > Can anyone top this:.
        >
        > One pack of turbo yeast �2.05
        > 8kilos suger �5.16
        > water 25lts
        > Electricity & water cooling
        > aprox �0.50
        > Output = .35lts
        > I think doing it in the potting shed was (tora garam)hot
        > in english.
        > Let me know how you get on grimblewiz.

      • Dr. M. Legendre
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 14, 2002
          On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:30:16 -0000
          "ekalb142000" <robin@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone top this:.
          >
          > One pack of turbo yeast £2.05
          > 8kilos suger £5.16
          > water 25lts
          > Electricity & water cooling
          > aprox £0.50
          > Output = .35lts

          Well, something is amiss here.. 8Kg of sugar should yield about 4.1 liters
          (4000ml) of 95% spirit.. Did you mean 3.5? That is a reasonable yield.

          -- Dr. M. Legendre
        • ekalb142000
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 14, 2002

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 14, 2002
              --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dr. M. Legendre" <legendre@n...> wrote:
              > On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:30:16 -0000
              > "ekalb142000" <robin@e...> wrote:
              >

              > > Can anyone top this:.
              > >
              > > One pack of turbo yeast £2.05
              > > 8kilos suger £5.16
              > > water 25lts
              > > Electricity & water cooling
              > > aprox £0.50
              > > Output = .35lts
              >
              > Well, something is amiss here.. 8Kg of sugar should yield about 4.1
              liters
              > (4000ml) of 95% spirit.. Did you mean 3.5? That is a reasonable
              yield.
              > 350ml at 90%
              > -- Dr. M. Legendre
            • Dr. M. Legendre
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 14, 2002
                On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 18:05:37 -0000
                "ekalb142000" <robin@...> wrote:

                > > Well, something is amiss here.. 8Kg of sugar should yield about 4.1
                > liters
                > > (4000ml) of 95% spirit.. Did you mean 3.5? That is a reasonable
                > yield.
                > > 350ml at 90%

                Err, did that wash taste a little _sweet_ when you went to distill it? :)

                -- Dr. M. Legendre
              • pocoian2000
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
                  Yes, I think I can top that! I get 8 kilos of sugar for less than
                  half that price! And ".35lts"?? - I hope you mean 3.5 litres which
                  would not be too bad.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002
                    On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:31:16 -0000
                    "pocoian2000" <ianelamacsween@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, I think I can top that! I get 8 kilos of sugar for less than
                    > half that price!

                    I can see you are from a country that does NOT have a total embargo on
                    Cuba.

                    As you might not know, sugar prices in the USA are about 2-4x as high as
                    anywhere else in the world, due to that sad little embargo. Communism is
                    dead, but Castro is still alive... and producing quantities of inexpensive
                    sugar - much to the consternation of the US Sugar Producers.

                    -- Dr. M. Legendre
                  • pactumuk
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 19, 2002

                      Well,  you know what they say Dr

                      " Pride has it's price "

                      pactumuk

                        "Dr. M. Legendre" <legendre@...> wrote:

                      On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:31:16 -0000
                      "pocoian2000" <ianelamacsween@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, I think I can top that! I get 8 kilos of sugar for less than
                      > half that price!

                      I can see you are from a country that does NOT have a total embargo on
                      Cuba.

                      As you might not know, sugar prices in the USA are about 2-4x as high as
                      anywhere else in the world, due to that sad little embargo. Communism is
                      dead, but Castro is still alive... and producing quantities of inexpensive
                      sugar - much to the consternation of the US Sugar Producers.

                      -- Dr. M. Legendre

                      http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail_storage.html

                    • timmur64
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 17, 2003
                        I want to calculate "actual" yield for a sugar wash. I used the
                        calculators on Tony Ackland's site, but I didn't see how to figure
                        out the the amount of alcohol minus the foreshots, heads and tails.
                        According to the calculators on Tony's site, a 25 L sugar wash with
                        8 KG of sugar may yield up to 18.8% ABV. Assuming that I do in fact
                        get 18.8 % ABV, the yield calculator says that I could get about 4.7
                        L of 95% alcohol. If I make a narrow cut, how much "pure" alcohol
                        will I get with the above assumptions. In other words, I'm wondering
                        what my yield of "clean" tasting vodka will be (and of course the
                        amount of heads and tails). Would someone help me calculate this?
                      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 17, 2003
                          It depends on how narrow your cuts can be. For example, if using a pot still, the volume of heads and tails will be very large, as you have so little control. On the other hand, if you have a tall column with good packing, then if kept under very high reflux rates, you may only have say 200 mL of heads and similar of tails. Other people may find that it might be say 400 mL. It depends on you, your still, and how its operated. Some things you just need to experiment to find out. The assistance here might be around how many mL of each are typically collected.

                          Tony
                        • timmur64
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 17, 2003
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                            <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                            > It depends on how narrow your cuts can be. For example, if using
                            a pot still, the volume of heads and tails will be very large, as
                            you have so little control. On the other hand, if you have a tall
                            column with good packing, then if kept under very high reflux rates,
                            you may only have say 200 mL of heads and similar of tails. Other
                            people may find that it might be say 400 mL. It depends on you,
                            your still, and how its operated. Some things you just need to
                            experiment to find out. The assistance here might be around how
                            many mL of each are typically collected.

                            > Tony
                            Thanks Tony. I'm really just looking for a best guess. The still
                            will be operated with high reflux rates and the column is both tall
                            enough and has good packing (structured copper mesh).
                          • BOKAKOB
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 17, 2003
                              Roughly first 30% are contaminated, then 40% is clean and next 30% are tails. Out of first 30% usuallly I discard first 0.15 L ~ 0.2L (my washes are 19L at 14%abv). Make sure you have 18.8% abv :-)

                              timmur64 <timmur64@...> wrote:
                              I want to calculate "actual" yield for a sugar wash. I used the
                              calculators on Tony Ackland's site, but I didn't see how to figure
                              out the the amount of alcohol minus the foreshots, heads and tails.
                              According to the calculators on Tony's site, a 25 L sugar wash with
                              8 KG of sugar may yield up to 18.8% ABV. Assuming that I do in fact
                              get 18.8 % ABV, the yield calculator says that I could get about 4.7
                              L of 95% alcohol. If I make a narrow cut, how much "pure" alcohol
                              will I get with the above assumptions. In other words, I'm wondering
                              what my yield of "clean" tasting vodka will be (and of course the
                              amount of heads and tails). Would someone help me calculate this?

                              I can be wrong I must say
                              Cheers, Alex...

                              Do you Yahoo!?
                            • BOKAKOB

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 18, 2003
                                  hi Alex,
                                  i have always thought your 30% heads is a lot, especially as you only
                                  brew to 14% so it should have few by-products.
                                  how long do you stabilise the column for?
                                  how fast do you draw off these heads?
                                  what temp do you ferment at?
                                  in emails to Mike McCaw & Mike Nixon they mentioned that if you draw
                                  off heads very slowly (about 1 drop per second) you may reach the
                                  main run in the same time but you will have collected less as heads
                                  and hence have more collected as the drinkable cut. both Mikes also
                                  recommend throwing an initial quantity of heads but saving the last
                                  bit of heads which is heavily "contaminated" with ethanol, the theory
                                  being that at the start you are getting the best separation possible
                                  with your column so if you throw it into your next batch you can only
                                  get that same level of separation again. how much you throw out is up
                                  to you as it depends on many factors. i recently collected over 6
                                  litres as heads from a large run, as i never threw any out, i think
                                  it is time i did!

                                  Peter

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 18, 2003
                                    For each question mark I will try to provide an answer. Usually I stabilize the temperature no more than 30 minutes from the moment it shoots up to the moment I read 77.2degC. I draw heads for about an hour and a half. First 150~200mL for about an half-hour and then the rest. I tried many ways to distill and found that the best for me is the slow method. It means that I draw off at one or at most two drops per second yelding about 400~600mL per hour. I do it for the whole run. I scarcely need cooling water and it literally almost dripping, no one is talking about running of cooling water. The fermentation temperature is the temperature of my bedroom, I say around 25degC. My criteria of heads, tails and the body is the smell. If it does smell it is not a drinkable thing. Tails are easy --  as soon as I get to theoretical value of the main run the rest are tails.... If you ask me about structural mechanics I would probably get you a better answers. As of theory of distillation, brewing, azerotropes, etc. etc. this is not a correct address. :-) Again see my signature. Cheers, Alex...

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 21, 2003
                                      thanks Alex
                                      seems you are distilling a good wash at a nice slow rate, nothing
                                      unusual, but you still collect a relatively large amount of heads.
                                      maybe you just have much better taste/smell than most people! do you
                                      add all the heads back to your next batch or do you throw some away?
                                      if it is all put back in it will accumulate over time. as i said
                                      before i recently distilled a large batch with the heads from ALL the
                                      batches i ever brewed. i collected over 6l as heads.

                                      Peter

                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                                      > For each question mark I will try to provide an answer. Usually I
                                      stabilize the temperature no more than 30 minutes from the moment it
                                      shoots up to the moment I read 77.2degC. I draw heads for about an
                                      hour and a half. First 150~200mL for about an half-hour and then the
                                      rest. I tried many ways to distill and found that the best for me is
                                      the slow method. It means that I draw off at one or at most two drops
                                      per second yelding about 400~600mL per hour. I do it for the whole
                                      run. I scarcely need cooling water and it literally almost dripping,
                                      no one is talking about running of cooling water. The fermentation
                                      temperature is the temperature of my bedroom, I say around 25degC. My
                                      criteria of heads, tails and the body is the smell. If it does smell
                                      it is not a drinkable thing. Tails are easy -- as soon as I get to
                                      theoretical value of the main run the rest are tails.... If you ask
                                      me about structural mechanics I would probably get you a better
                                      answers. As of theory of distillation,
                                      > brewing, azerotropes, etc. etc. this is not a correct address. :-)
                                      Again see my signature. Cheers, Alex...

                                      > peter_vcb <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:hi Alex,
                                      > i have always thought your 30% heads is a lot, especially as you
                                      only
                                      > brew to 14% so it should have few by-products.
                                      > how long do you stabilise the column for?
                                      > how fast do you draw off these heads?
                                      > what temp do you ferment at?
                                      > in emails to Mike McCaw & Mike Nixon they mentioned that if you
                                      draw
                                      > off heads very slowly (about 1 drop per second) you may reach the
                                      > main run in the same time but you will have collected less as heads
                                      > and hence have more collected as the drinkable cut. both Mikes also
                                      > recommend throwing an initial quantity of heads but saving the last
                                      > bit of heads which is heavily "contaminated" with ethanol, the
                                      theory
                                      > being that at the start you are getting the best separation
                                      possible
                                      > with your column so if you throw it into your next batch you can
                                      only
                                      > get that same level of separation again. how much you throw out is
                                      up
                                      > to you as it depends on many factors. i recently collected over 6
                                      > litres as heads from a large run, as i never threw any out, i think
                                      > it is time i did!
                                      >
                                      > Peter
                                      >
                                      > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                                      > > Roughly first 30% are contaminated, then 40% is clean and next
                                      30%
                                      > are tails. Out of first 30% usuallly I discard first 0.15 L ~ 0.2L
                                      > (my washes are 19L at 14%abv). Make sure you have 18.8% abv :-)
                                      > >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                      Service.

                                      > I can be wrong I must say
                                      > Cheers, Alex...

                                    • BOKAKOB
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 21, 2003
                                        I get rid of the first 120-150mL of heads every time.

                                        I can be wrong I must say
                                        Cheers, Alex...

                                        Do you Yahoo!?
                                      • M L
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 24, 2011
                                          Hi, I'm new to this and was wondering how much alcohol you would typically expect a 5 gallon batch of say a 1.090 O.G. to yield .Thanks MarkL.
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 26, 2011

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi, I'm new to this and was wondering how much alcohol you would typically expect a 5 gallon batch of say a 1.090 O.G. to yield .Thanks MarkL.

                                            12% potential.  5 gals (3.8 x 5 = 19 L) x 12% gives 2.2 litres or about 4 to 5 litres @ 40% abv when watered back, depending on how efficient your processing is.  Save the chart below for future reference.

                                            Owner :         Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers    The Alcohol Library
                                            Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings   Web Access  Trading Post

                                            Distillers Wort Chart

                                            Hydrometer table
                                            Specific gravity (S.G.)Potential alcohol % vol. Sugar / litre grams

                                             Notes

                                            1.0100.912.5

                                            1.0151.625

                                            1.0202.344

                                            1.0253.057

                                            1.0303.776

                                            1.0354.495

                                            1.0405.1107

                                            1.0455.8120

                                            1.0506.5132

                                            Range average for grain wort

                                            1.0557.2145
                                            1.0607.9157.5

                                            1.0658.6170

                                            1.0709.2182.5

                                            1.0759.9195

                                            1.08010.6208

                                            1.08511.3225

                                            1.09012.0240

                                            1.09512.7252

                                            1.10013.4265

                                            Upper limit for bread yeasts

                                            1.10514.1277

                                            1.11014.9290

                                            1.11515.6302.5

                                            Upper limit for wine yeasts

                                            1.12016.3315

                                            1.12517.0327.5

                                            1.13017.7340

                                            1.13518.4352

                                            Upper limit for turbo yeasts

                                            To set a wort for fermentation:  Use the hydrometer chart and adjust your sugar content for desired potential alcohol and type of yeast used.  After adjustment, take your first hydrometer reading and record it as the Original Gravity (O.G.) figure.

                                            When fermentation is complete, take your second hydrometer reading and record it as the Final Gravity (F.G.) figure.

                                            Using the equation for % Alcohol By Volume, you can calculate the actual alcohol content achieved for the wort.  Compare this to the potential alcohol volume given in the chart, and you will get an idea of how efficient, or otherwise, your attenuation is.

                                            You can also calculate the percentage of Alcohol By Weight which is sometimes used in beer brewing.

                                            Copyright � 2007 H Jackson.  All rights reserved.