Flexible Gas line coil

  • kekedog13
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
    I made this Condenser coil today. It's really tight in 2 " copper. I don't suppose that's a problem. No vapors should get by it .
  • RLB
    Message 2 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
      You should read up on the problems associated with flexible gas pipe.  Good luck, I think you will need it.

      Robert

      I made this Condenser coil today. It's really tight in 2 " copper. I don't suppose that's a problem. No vapors should get by it .

    • marcornantel
      Message 3 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
        I will read up as well, bummed to hear there are problems; it seemed like a really good idea!

        From: RLB <last2blast@...>
        Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:00:05 -0800 (PST)
        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com<new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Flexible Gas line coil

        You should read up on the problems associated with flexible gas pipe.  Good luck, I think you will need it.

        Robert

        I made this Condenser coil today. It's really tight in 2 " copper. I don't suppose that's a problem. No vapors should get by it .

      • Bob
        Message 4 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
          I think that is a great idea all the flex portions will let the vapors contact a maximum amount of ss and the only thing I would question is the size. I have a 3” condenser top that I have not populated with a spiral condenses as the 3/8 pipe that is ss has been very difficult to bend small enough to fit. So I think I will try your method as somewhere in the tool bin there are some of the flex ss gas lines. So thanks your idea is very efficiently cool and affordable ---
          bob C
          [Attachment(s) from kekedog13@... included below]

          I made this Condenser coil today. It's really tight in 2 " copper. I don't suppose that's a problem. No vapors should get by it .
        • M L
          Message 5 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
            I wish I knew exactly where to find the posts you speak of.

            To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Monday, December 16, 2013, 1:00 PM

            From:
            "kekedog13@..." <kekedog13@...>

            Message 6 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
              mercorn, let me know where you find this post if you do, I've read nothing negative about using these coils .

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Monday, December 16, 2013, 1:07 PM

              I will read up as well, bummed to hear there are problems;
              it seemed like a really good idea!
              Sent from my Verizon Wireless
              BlackBerryFrom: RLB
              <last2blast@...>
              Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:00:05 -0800
              (PST)To:
              new_distillers@yahoogroups.com<new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>ReplyTo:
              new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Flexible Gas
              line coil

              From:
              "kekedog13@..." <kekedog13@...>

              Message 7 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
                The  only negative is out of context for our use...   The corrugated pipe is reported to explode when used with gas and struck by lightening.  Not really an issue as a condensor.    Don't still in a storm.....  :-)

                Jeff Kimble
                415.323.5654

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:00:05 -0800
                (PST)To:

                From:
                "kekedog13@..." <kekedog13@...>

                Message 8 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
                  I'd be interested too, I've read good stuff myself.

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:00:05 -0800
                  (PST)To:

                  From:
                  "kekedog13@..." <kekedog13@...>

                  Message 9 of 12 , Dec 16, 2013
                    I used to be a Licensed Home Inspector, so lets look at this flexible gas pipe from that point of view.  First that pipe wasn't designed for the sharp turns it's being subjected to in that design, and its exceeding its flex limit to achieve that bend.  This means it will leak, so there is a good chance that cold water will be enter you column.

                    Secondly:  You are subjecting that pipe to extreme, chemical and temperature changes that it was not designed for by the company.  In the U.S. that type gas pipe would be a red flag for what ever it is connected to because they are known to leak unless they are coated with gray plastic.  You don't want plastic in a column.

                    Your idea is basically great, but that type of pipe has too many problems associated with it to trust it in a column.  If it leaks, the column it will never reach proper temperature, and you might keep increasing pot temperature beyond its safety limit in an attempt to reach proper column temp.  While you are trying to reach proper column temp. your pot is filling up with water.  I just can't see a win win for long using flexible gas pipe in a column.  It may work for a short time in the beginning, but do you really want to take a chance on something that is known to have problems with leaking?

                    Robert

                    To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Monday, December 16, 2013, 1:00 PM

                    From:
                    "kekedog13@..." <kekedog13@...>

                    Message 10 of 12 , Dec 17, 2013
                      Have you considered the braided metal hose?

                      Message 11 of 12 , Dec 17, 2013
                        We may not be talking about the same ss braided hose, but the ones I know of have a plastic liner. We cut the ends off and pull the tube out, leaving the braid hollowed out to use as a filter when draining grain based washes...

                        From: "edbar44" <edbar44@...>
                        Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:02:40 -0000
                        To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                        ReplyTo: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Flexible Gas line coil

                        Message 12 of 12 , Dec 19, 2013
                          Given the performance I've seen reported, I'd say its just a matter of personal choice on risking a leak.  Replacing the cost and labor of an 18" shotgun is nothing to sneer at (an application on AD that stood out in my reading).

                          Leaks would be easy to test for and identify before each run.  Having a spare on hand is a cheap and immediately applicable stopgap.  While it's nowhere near as commonly used in stills as it has been in homes, none of the still specific usages I've seen have reported leaks.  But it is very good to be aware and prepared for the potential.

                          From: "edbar44" <edbar44@...>
                          Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:02:40 -0000