priming a parrot

  • worm785
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013

    I have a copper proofing parrot but have the darndest time getting the air bubbles (priming) out of the line.  It is a stand alone parrot and not attached directly to the still.  Is there a know and/or proven way to to easily prime the parrot every time?  If so, please share.  This is a very similar picture of my parrot.

  • marcornantel
    Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013
      I'm curious about this, I would have thought it would not need purging...is the inlet funnel several inches higher than the outlet?

      From: <worm785@...>
      Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: 11 Dec 2013 06:49:23 -0800
      To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [new_distillers] priming a parrot [1 Attachment]

      I have a copper proofing parrot but have the darndest time getting the air bubbles (priming) out of the line.  It is a stand alone parrot and not attached directly to the still.  Is there a know and/or proven way to to easily prime the parrot every time?  If so, please share.  This is a very similar picture of my parrot.

    • Jerry McCullough
      Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013
      Try this design, been using it for years without any problems.

      On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:49 AM, "worm785@..." <worm785@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from worm785@... included below]
      I have a copper proofing parrot but have the darndest time getting the air bubbles (priming) out of the line.  It is a stand alone parrot and not attached directly to the still.  Is there a know and/or proven way to to easily prime the parrot every time?  If so, please share.  This is a very similar picture of my parrot.

    • matt hammond
      Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013

        Is there an abv I should be aiming for on a corn wash? Iv heard 5% is optimal. I'm gelatinizing the corn and converting with malted barley. Then I'm adding dextrose to increase the sugar. And on the note of feints, how many times are too many to cycle the feints back through the batches? Your help is much appreciated.

        Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013
          go to homedistiller.org and look under forum for UJSSM.  It will give you step by step procedures.  However, on that forum site, it says you can re-use the corn about 8-15 times.  Just my opinion, but I would say you could reuise the feints over and over and over as they are to an extent, new each time.  5% isn't that high, I generally shoot for at least 11-12% and at times end up with about 14-16 but it is all relevent on temperature, yeast/yeast care, nutrients and sugar.  Hope this helps and give you a head start.

            Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013

              Thanks Chris

              Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013
                Keep us posted, I'm curious how you make out.

                From: Chris Davis <worm785@...>
                Sender: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:06:19 -0800 (PST)
                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com<new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [new_distillers] priming a parrot

[...]

              • Ken Mc
                Message 9 of 11 , Dec 11, 2013

                  Hello,

                  I have a parrot and have no problems ,but, would comment that maybe your feed line needs to be a greater diameter, mine is 10mm and do not have the issue you talk of………My Thoughts

                  See attached link……….to my file Parrot

                  Ken Mc

                  I have a copper proofing parrot but have the darndest time getting the air bubbles (priming) out of the line.  It is a stand alone parrot and not attached directly to the still.  Is there a know and/or proven way to to easily prime the parrot every time?  If so, please share.  This is a very similar picture of my parrot.

                • Zapata Vive

                    Message 11 of 11 , Dec 12, 2013
                      I try to not go over 10% when adding sugar.  If using just grains, I'm happy with whatever I get but shoot for 8%.

                      Thanks Chris